Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times

Advertisements

Yes, it matters. IMO, a wide deviation between spouses who are both career minded can be a stressor. It's not always the case of course but in general and for most, I think it causes dissatisfaction due to a gap in the ability to relate to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I wanted to marry a professional white collar man in a suit but I fell desperately in love with a man in a uniform. I knew it would be a hard life full of worry. I also knew that I would have to be independent and would have to go a lot of places on my own. Holidays included.

That was not the life I had planned for myself, but there it was. I loved him too much not to grab the bulls by the horn and go with it.

Money comes and goes. Being madly in love with someone for thirty years and counting is far more rare, and worth it.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Not important. What was important was that she have one in which she was stable and happy and it was legal. As it turned out, my wife and I had the same profession - political and legislative analysis - which is how we met. As the manager of an office of legislation I was the bigger earner but that wasn't important either except for the bottom line. A mere 20 years later and counting it's still fun to have been in the same "business," especially in an election year and even more especially as we're often on opposite sides of the fence.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
It was important to me to marry someone who had basically the same education (or better) and the same or better white-collar job prospects. It's worked out well, because we both work but have a lot of flexibility in our current schedules which has been great for having kids (we both worked and made more early in our careers but when we had kids we decided to take career ambition back a notch but not a drastic change). If I lose my job, we'd be ok for a while because of his job, and if he lost his, the same. Marriage is about love of course, but it's also a financial partnership. The less stress and conflict you can have about money the better, and some of that is knowing what you want in a partner and what's important to you. For us both, it wasn't about becoming millionaires at age 35, but definitely having enough not to worry about it or penny pinch.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
I thought it was important. I always wanted to be with a pilot. There's just something about being able to put a big jet engine up into the sky that I thought was sexy. Love the uniform, too. I finally met and married him. He's a Captain with a legacy airline and flies all over the country. It's not as important to him as it could have been after all the bankruptcies and buy outs. He just treats it as a good job, not much more. Meanwhile, my career was always important to me; I worked long hours and didn't know how to relax, rarely took time off and had never even had a pet.

I found out our time together is a lot more important than what he does. He had a major heart scare and heart surgery 3 weeks after we got married. It could have been a career ending event but he was lucky and is doing well now. He was off work for the entire first year of our marriage and we really had our trials that year and since, but it made our relationship strong. He took me out on the river on a boat as often as he could. I got a tan, learned to ride a jet ski and had lots of fun. I think I became a better person because of my husband.

Our best times are out on the river when he serves as Captain of our houseboat. He taught me how to relax and forget about work. As for me, I'm not even working anymore; I am caring for my mom who is living with us and fighting cancer. I didn't mind leaving my career by the wayside. I may go back to work someday but it will never be the end-all-be-all that it once was.

Soon he will leave the airline behind in his retirement but he will always be the Captain of our boat! So what I thought was important really wasn't. I am just lucky I got a good husband.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:12 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But a rodeo clown's OK?
Haha, it's an inside joke that some will get

Old 03-24-2016, 02:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post

I found out our time together is a lot more important than what he does.
Finally ... someone mentions this.

As a newlywed, I thought we had it made when I found out my husband made $100K. It was more money than I had ever thought about either of us making.

Until I learned that he was at the office 60-70 hours a week, and every Saturday. It was a horrible situation that I was completely unprepared for, intellectually and emotionally.

It took us quite a few years to recover from that initial bad start. Trust me ... money doesn't buy everything.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
When we first got married nearly 40 years ago I made significantly more than she did but now the roles are reversed and she makes more than I do. You know what, I love her as much now as then and money has never played a role in that. Our happiness isn't based on who makes what.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:45 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
My late H and I always earned about the same amount of money, since we were both well established in our careers when we met. I always admired his incredible technical skills and loved to hang out at the TV station with him on weekends. On the other hand, when he went on travel with me, he thought it was cool that my name was always posted prominently on the main gate billboard at whatever installation I was visiting. I had to tell him that they were warning everyone rather than welcoming me.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM

171 posts, read 165,530 times
I only care that he has a job that gets a roof over our heads and insurance for us and doesn't make him have to be away often or for long periods of time. He doesn't even have to have a career, just a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships