Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:48 PM

971 posts, read 688,989 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I ended the day at a customer in DC and there is an attractive flirty woman in her early forties who I have dealt with a long time. She asks me what I am doing for dinner since it is already 5pm and I am still in the city. I told her probably wait till I get home to eat. She asks if I will go to Georgetown and eat with her at a trendy little place that she described. She is single and has tried to get me out to dinner in the past, but never worked out. I agree to go.

We get seated and order drinks and she hollers "hey you!" at the waitress half way across the room to come over. I kind of cringe and everyone looks, but I don't think much about it. Through the meal she does this again three more times. The waitress kind of glares at her but I say nothing. This is a woman who knows better and is a partner in a well known law firm. I don't expect her to act like this.

Then, it gets even better. I am trying to eat wings and she tells me I have bad manners because I have my elbows on the table! I just kind of lost it and said it was no worse than hollering hey you to get the waitresses attention. She doesn't see the humor in that and it got real quiet. After dinner when leaving she tells me she had fun, and asks if I did. I told her "oh it was interesting" and hopped in my truck and left.

Just another one of those deals where I walk away wondering how people can be critical of others when they are guilty of the same bad behavior. Guess I need to stick to the redneck women with bad manners. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
A person who is nice to you but isn't nice to the waiter isn't a nice person.

Good manners and respect for others, by the way, aren't a function of education and income.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
So yesterday I ended the day at a customer in DC and there is an attractive flirty woman in her early forties who I have dealt with a long time. She asks me what I am doing for dinner since it is already 5pm and I am still in the city. I told her probably wait till I get home to eat. She asks if I will go to Georgetown and eat with her at a trendy little place that she described. She is single and has tried to get me out to dinner in the past, but never worked out. I agree to go.

We get seated and order drinks and she hollers "hey you!" at the waitress half way across the room to come over. I kind of cringe and everyone looks, but I don't think much about it. Through the meal she does this again three more times. The waitress kind of glares at her but I say nothing. This is a woman who knows better and is a partner in a well known law firm. I don't expect her to act like this.

Then, it gets even better. I am trying to eat wings and she tells me I have bad manners because I have my elbows on the table! I just kind of lost it and said it was no worse than hollering hey you to get the waitresses attention. She doesn't see the humor in that and it got real quiet. After dinner when leaving she tells me she had fun, and asks if I did. I told her "oh it was interesting" and hopped in my truck and left.

Just another one of those deals where I walk away wondering how people can be critical of others when they are guilty of the same bad behavior. Guess I need to stick to the redneck women with bad manners. Lol.
Classic mate........ I could picture your face ..... ( 😂😂😂😂 ) LOL.

Still an entertaining night beats a boring I suppose ...... Now where did I leave them wings

Old 03-29-2016, 01:26 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post

Ehhh. I wouldn't waste too my time or energy with this one.

If she is disrespectful to the waitress she will eventually be the same with you.

Her elbows comment was the first test to see if you had any cahones.

You did a great job of calling her out on her b.s. She probably doesn't meet many men willing to do that.

You probably could have her if you wanted.

I wouldn't bother.

Sound's like a headache to me.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Yikes.

Yep, you can tell a LOT about a person by how they treat service workers.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
The answer is in your description

...This is a woman who knows better and is a partner in a well known law firm.

This is normal behavior for a person who makes their living arguing cases. Most lawyers I have met can be rude and aggressive, not necessarily at all times, but certainly when it suits their purpose.

You should not be put off by this.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The answer is in your description

...This is a woman who knows better and is a partner in a well known law firm.

This is normal behavior for a person who makes their living arguing cases. Most lawyers I have met can be rude and aggressive, not necessarily at all times, but certainly when it suits their purpose.

You should not be put off by this.
Sorry. I know plenty of attorneys. Almost without exception, they have rather good social skills. They have to.

And the 'suits their purpose' has nothing to do with a social setting such as a dinner date in a restaurant.

Back to the OP. Your instincts are right. Because if that's how she's treating your server, that's how she's going to be treating you in six months.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:49 PM

971 posts, read 688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. I know plenty of attorneys. Almost without exception, they have rather good social skills. They have to.

And the 'suits their purpose' has nothing to do with a social setting such as a dinner date in a restaurant.

Back to the OP. Your instincts are right. Because if that's how she's treating your server, that's how she's going to be treating you in six months.
Oh I am def not interested. I dated a cool lawyer years ago. This one is just rude and thinks she is someone important. Well, actually she is, but it doesn't impress old rednecky me. Lol.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
There are only 2 important questions left unanswered: were the wings good and was the beer cold? If so you had a good time. If not -- well that sux

Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Pointing out someone's rude table manners is also rude. I can't stand people who are jerks to service workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships