Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 PM

91 posts, read 118,527 times

Advertisements

Several years ago my husband was in a hit and run wreck and his car was totaled. He loved that car. No, it wasn't any type of classic car nor was it a luxury car but he kept it clean, washed and maintenance up on it. It took him a while but he was able to finally replace it with a used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. Again, nothing brand new but he takes care of that truck like it's his baby. He went and got a remote entry system put on it, remote start and has since installed a new touch screen radio and audio system. He has never given me a key to his truck and I've only driven it maybe 15 or 15 times in the 2+ years since he's gotten it. Some mornings I'd ask him if I could take his truck to work cause I want to drive something different. He'll look at me and say "when you went to the dealership to get your car that's the one you wanted so you should have no problem driving it, why do you need to take mine?"

Him and another female friend of his got into it because she said that any descent husband would give his wife the newer, safer vehicle and he'd just take her older car. His response to that was, "my car was the one that was wrecked and totaled but she's the one who gets the new car, I think not." I'm not saying I totally agree with his friend but why won't he let me drive it sometimes? This friend even suggested that we alternate cars every other week. We drive our own cars for a week then we switch for a week.

Ladies, if you wanted to switch cars with your man simply because you wanted to drive something different or just wanted to drive his car for a while would he? If he loved you would he really say no to you? We're husband and wife so by law his car is my car, right? My car is titled to me and his car is titled to him. None of the household money was used to purchase his car. He used his school refund check to buy it.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,107,398 times
Because he sees how you have taught your son to care for cars that are borrowed?

Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,723,493 times
Go buy your own newer car.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Go buy your own newer car.

He wants us to go in and buy one together. Check out my other post. A third car for travel and trip purposes. Basically, a newer car that will sit at the house most of the time and only be driven on weekends, car trips, or when one of our cars goes to the shop.

967 posts, read 681,321 times
As a man it seems a little strange to me. When married, my wife always drove the newer vehicle and could drive mine anytime she wanted. Until just recently, I had a Ford Raptor (big redneck truck) and I used to get a kick out of women wanting to drive it and never had a problem with it. I guess it varies guy to guy.

8,781 posts, read 9,401,162 times
The issue has nothing to do with love.
I mean in general, it obviously is for you.

15,675 posts, read 11,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
Several years ago my husband was in a hit and run wreck and his car was totaled. He loved that car. No, it wasn't any type of classic car nor was it a luxury car but he kept it clean, washed and maintenance up on it. It took him a while but he was able to finally replace it with a used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. Again, nothing brand new but he takes care of that truck like it's his baby. He went and got a remote entry system put on it, remote start and has since installed a new touch screen radio and audio system. He has never given me a key to his truck and I've only driven it maybe 15 or 15 times in the 2+ years since he's gotten it. Some mornings I'd ask him if I could take his truck to work cause I want to drive something different. He'll look at me and say "when you went to the dealership to get your car that's the one you wanted so you should have no problem driving it, why do you need to take mine?"

Him and another female friend of his got into it because she said that any descent husband would give his wife the newer, safer vehicle and he'd just take her older car. His response to that was, "my car was the one that was wrecked and totaled but she's the one who gets the new car, I think not." I'm not saying I totally agree with his friend but why won't he let me drive it sometimes? This friend even suggested that we alternate cars every other week. We drive our own cars for a week then we switch for a week.

Ladies, if you wanted to switch cars with your man simply because you wanted to drive something different or just wanted to drive his car for a while would he? If he loved you would he really say no to you? We're husband and wife so by law his car is my car, right? My car is titled to me and his car is titled to him. None of the household money was used to purchase his car. He used his school refund check to buy it.
Well that beats the infamous smoothie thread LMAO!.

Honestly I've got no answer except if he's so insistent on it then respect his wishes, I know it's petty but so be it.

As for the forth coming " he wants to switch sides of the bed " thread LOL , take revenge and say NOOOOOO!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:04 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,858,372 times
Mrs. NBP has never driven either of my trucks.

Having said that, it sounds that there might be more going on with he and you than him not "allowing" you to drive his vehicle.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Mrs. NBP has never driven either of my trucks.

Having said that, it sounds that there might be more going on with he and you than him not "allowing" you to drive his vehicle.

He says that "no one takes better care of your stuff than you." He's just protective of that truck.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,512,884 times
Personally, no one touches my SUV except in extreme emergencies or the mechanic. I think if OP wants to drive something "different" she should rent a car. I wouldn't want someone else driving a car that was in my name for the hell of it only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships