Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 11,586 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that I have a tendency to have sex quickly when a man makes clear that he will only have a casual relationship, but when a man wants long-term, I do things more slowly (so as not to be judged negatively - because many guys WILL judge you for having sex too soon). Many women do things differently, but that's generally my pattern.

A male pointed out that this is a bad strategy, because it "punishes" guys for being relationship material.
What strategy would be more fair, yet still work for the woman?

If you wait a certain amount of time ALL the time, you'll miss out on casual partners, who are often not willing to wait.

If you do it more quickly ALL the time, you'll put off many serious partners.

So it seems like you inherently cannot treat casual and serious men the same way.

To just say "don't have casual sex" is unrealistic. People always have and always will in any free society. People are just more open/less secretive about it now.

So how should this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
To clarify: I'm a big fan of weighing what works for the individual WAY more than what's "fair".

The easiest solution is to simply have sex when you want to have sex and let the serious partners who would be discouraged go pound sand. But if you're actively looking for a LTR and value that more highly than casual sex at the moment, I can see how it would feel like that might not work for you.

You ask an intriguing question, OP.

On one hand, I'd recommend the above. On the other, I wouldn't be concerned at all with "punishing" guys who are relationship material (though, to avoid rubbing salt in the wound, I wouldn't make mention of how quickly you've slept with other guys).

The shortest response I can give is: Do what feels appropriate for you, and don't worry about "punishing" others. If your needs/wants drastically change, and you feel that behavior adjustment makes a difference (personally, I don't agree, but that's a different topic), then adjust accordingly.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Have sex with guys whenever you feel you want it based on your own personal values, not on whether or not a potential LTR guy is going to judge you on that. A guy who will judge you on that is not going to be compatible with you in the long term anyway because you have different value systems.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
No one has any input on when I decide not; or to, have sex. Fair does not enter the equation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 AM

531 posts, read 384,323 times
It would make more sense to have sex faster with the guy that is going to stick around. No need to make him wait when Mr. No good can just get it asap. But whatever makes people happy is best.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:03 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
It would make more sense to have sex faster with the guy that is going to stick around. No need to make him wait when Mr. No good can just get it asap. But whatever makes people happy is best.
How does a woman determine that a guy is going to stick around?

Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No one has any input on when I decide not; or to, have sex. Fair does not enter the equation.

The person you want to have sex with doesn't have any input? Daaayem, that's a strong hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
How does a woman determine that a guy is going to stick around?
By having time pass and having him still be there. Nothing else. Same as how a guy determines if a woman will stick around.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I've just always had sex when we both were ready. It's nobody's business but my own in terms of how long I waited or didn't wait to have sex with each person. It has nothing to do with punishing or fairness.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:53 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dancer View Post
...when a man wants long-term, I do things more slowly (so as not to be judged negatively - because many guys WILL judge you for having sex too soon).
I see what you mean, but I'm with the others who feel it punishes the guy who is genuinely interested.

But on your end, there's no way to know what a man's intentions truly are. So, I can't blame ya either way. Do what you feel is best.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I see what you mean, but I'm with the others who feel it punishes the guy who is genuinely interested.

But on your end, there's no way to know what a man's intentions truly are. So, I can't blame ya either way. Do what you feel is best.
How is it punishing anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships