Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 13,950 times

Advertisements

So I'm in college and have been dating my boyfriend for several months. He was a virgin when we met and a lot has happened in his life during our relationship. But, in short, he's relied on me for a lot of support and i'm the first person to really connect to him and be there when he needed it most.

Now, a new conflict has come up. It seems that he is being forced to be transfer universities. To be honest, I don't see the relationship working long distance. I'm going to be super busy next semester (trying to graduate early) and I won't have the time to travel to see him. I don't know how to tell him how I feel. I know he is further committed in the relationship than I am, and so many bad events have happened to him in the past few months that I don't want to see him hurt again (especially by me).

Should I end the relationship now that I know he has to transfer? Should I wait a few months to break-up? Or should I just let it die of natural causes? I'm worried that if I try to leave now that he will say that he is willing to do whatever it takes to stay together (drive to visit me on the weekends and such). And I guess there are ways that it theoretically COULD work long distance, but the truth is that i'm not "in love" right now and even though I think that love could grow over time if he lived here, he isn't going to be here. I don't see the relationship having much of a chance.

Anyway, what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:53 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Tell him NOW how you feel, especially if you're " not in love right now ".

Yes he will be hurt but it will hurt a lot more if you drag it out and prolong it plus you will create more problems for yourself in the long run.

Take care and I hope things work out for you both

Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
What do you want for now? Are you happy with the things that are happening now and into the short-term future before he leaves? If so, tell him you might have some concerns after he leaves, and you guys will have to discuss that later when the time comes. Other than that, if you are happy with everything else, then just continue on.

On the other hand, if you are kind of not satisfied with the relationship now, then the best thing to do is to end it now. Just tell him things aren't working for you now nor do you think they will in the future. It's not up to you to spare someone's feelings at the expense of your own personal integrity.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Yep, as the cowboy said, do it now.

It's not logical to stay with him in order to avoid hurting him. Would you want HIM to stay with you out of pity?

Besides, it's apparent your feelings aren't nearly deep enough to even attempt an LDR.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Truthfully tell him you're not in love with him. Do not include confusing comments like if you were not transferring etc to the mix.
Right now, today, you not crazy for him--tell him that....prolonging the relationship out of convenience is not nice.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 PM

I can't just tell him i'm not in love with him...i can't bring myself to do it. I do care for him greatly, that's why i'm trying to do this in the least painful way. I see why you think the transfer is an excuse, and it is and it's not. I wish things were different and we could stay together. But I am also realistic and know it can't work out.

I really hate this situation...

Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak8080 View Post
I can't just tell him i'm not in love with him...i can't bring myself to do it. I do care for him greatly, that's why i'm trying to do this in the least painful way. I see why you think the transfer is an excuse, and it is and it's not really. I wish things were different and we could stay together. But I am also realistic and know it can't work out.

I really hate this situation...
This:

Quote:
To be honest, I don't see the relationship working long distance. I'm going to be super busy next semester (trying to graduate early) and I won't have the time to travel to see him....I guess there are ways that it theoretically COULD work long distance, but the truth is that i'm not "in love" right now and even though I think that love could grow over time if he lived here, he isn't going to be here. I don't see the relationship having much of a chance.
... is all you have to say.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:14 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Talk to him about it. You can leave off the "not in love" part and simply discuss the difficulties of continuing the relationship. Be clear that you want to break up because it will be the best for both of you.

Then keep contact to a minimum so he doesn't have false hope.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Thank you guys for all the advice! It's really helpful to get unbiased feedback

Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the advice! It's really helpful to get unbiased feedback

It's not easy to break up with someone, but the truth is that there is no foolproof way to do it without saying things the other person probably won't want to hear.

Think about if YOU were hearing this news, how you probably wouldn't want the other person to take forever to get it out but to just cut to the chase. Once he hears that you want to break up, he may have heard enough and leave or he may begin to "plead his case." Or he may react in any number of ways.

The main thing is to remember WHY you're doing it and not to deviate from that. Knowing your purpose keeps you from being unnecessarily hurtful and gets you through a painful process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships