Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

How rural is rural? How far away are you from the closest village, town, city?

Relationships take compromise, so if you're digging in your heels about where you live before you've even met someone, and expecting they'll move to accommodate you, you may be waiting a very long time. Other than you, what would be the draw for someone to give up their life in their area to come to yours? What are the job and lifestyle opportunities that would make it appealing to relocate to where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 AM

307 posts, read 631,021 times
My husband is from an extremely rural community. He and his brother both had to move to a more populated area for work and met their wives online because they weren't interested in anyone in their high school classes. Their high school classes generally made one of two choices: stay in town and marry young to someone in their high school class; or leave town for an education and then marry later.

His sister is in her late 30s and has never met anyone to date or marry, but she is very attached to the land and won't leave the area. She keeps hoping to meet a nice farmer, but all the neighboring farmers are about 30 years older than her. She has pretty much rejected everyone that has approached her that isn't settled in the area, even if they are just from a few counties over.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Hang out at whatever local watering hole there is in your small rural community and see if you meet someone you like? Be involved in your small town rural church, or other community social clubs or events to meet other potential singles within a reasonable difference?

Although the pool of eligible is smaller, there is no magic formula to dating because your in a rural and not an urban area. You just have to be out there somehow, in person, online, whatever, so you can meet and connect with singles.
I don't go to church. The bar is generally open from the beginning of May through October depending on weather, and I do go, especially when folks are playing music. The only other "social club" I can think of that we have is Wednesday night beer club at my best friend's house... bonfire, beer & bs. I go sometimes.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Well I live in a very rural community myself so am waiting to hear what folks have to say. One thing I will say though is that decent and intelligent people can be found everywhere. My biggest problem here is that they're all married.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:31 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
I live in a rural area as well.

Pretty much see the same people everyday when I go somewhere. I'm not interested in anyone around here, but at the same time I don't care enough to move for the sake of a relationship. I have better things to do. If you want to see who's out there; go to the mall, out to eat, any public place really.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
How rural is rural? How far away are you from the closest village, town, city?

Relationships take compromise, so if you're digging in your heels about where you live before you've even met someone, and expecting they'll move to accommodate you, you may be waiting a very long time. Other than you, what would be the draw for someone to give up their life in their area to come to yours? What are the job and lifestyle opportunities that would make it appealing to relocate to where you are?
I live north of Fairbanks and my "town" (which is not actually a town, but a CDP, a Census Designated Place) has maybe around a hundred people.

I never said I wasn't willing to compromise. Don't put words in my mouth. I just said above that I had not previously considered a LDR but that I now would. There are excellent job and lifestyle opportunities here for people who like to be outdoors. If a guy doesn't like to be outside, we're not going to get along anyways.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well I live in a very rural community myself so am waiting to hear what folks have to say. One thing I will say though is that decent and intelligent people can be found everywhere. My biggest problem here is that they're all married.
Right, I have a 7-year old niece so I spend a lot of time with my family. There are lots of great people out there... Married people.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I'm in a generally rural area I guess. could be worse or better. Like another poster said, many marry from a high school relationship or relocate for an education and get married. Many I know that have done the latter haven't returned to the area. Those that are still in the area are generally single.

I've come to the conclusion I'll have to move. Either 18 or 80 single in this area it seems.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I had to move. Sorry.
So, did you move so you could find a partner, or was it a secondary reason/bonus?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I live north of Fairbanks and my "town" (which is not actually a town, but a CDP, a Census Designated Place) has maybe around a hundred people.

I never said I wasn't willing to compromise. Don't put words in my mouth. I just said above that I had not previously considered a LDR but that I now would. There are excellent job and lifestyle opportunities here for people who like to be outdoors. If a guy doesn't like to be outside, we're not going to get along anyways.
What I mean is that you're open to an LDR but only if they move to you. What if you meet someone who is LD and you really hit it off, but they don't want to live in a population of 100? Are you going to be willing to move, or meet halfway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships