Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM

37,412 posts, read 45,595,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
30 sec to 30mins? Do you guys go on a lot of blind dates?

Reason I ask, is if you meet someone online, don't you take a bit of time getting to know each other prior to meeting? via messages/text/call?
Absolutely. I wouldn't even consider meeting anyone without a few phone conversations. Hell no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:19 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,971,981 times
Quote:

Reason I ask, is if you meet someone online, don't you take a bit of time getting to know each other prior to meeting? via messages/text/call?
When I did OLD, I wanted to meet up with the person as soon as was practicable.

I found that any sort of protracted "getting to know one another" before meeting in person was an absolute waste of time if there was no in-person chemistry. Aside from that, I also wanted to know how the other person conducted themselves in real-time. All the talking online or on the phone meant nothing to me if he was crappy to a waitress or was awkward in-person, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 5,999,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

I found that any sort of protracted "getting to know one another" before meeting in person was an absolute waste of time if there was no in-person chemistry. Aside from that, I also wanted to know how the other person conducted themselves in real-time. All the talking online or on the phone meant nothing to me if he was crappy to a waitress or was awkward in-person, etc.
I agree with this. Meet fast and move on.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:25 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,734,928 times
Quote:
30 sec to 30mins? Do you guys go on a lot of blind dates?

No, I don't lol. If they don't ask me out within 5-10 messages I will think they have a gf and just wanted some attention or they're just messing around. How long do you talk to someone before you ask them out?

Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

I fully agree. Faster the better, and its worked out better. Weeks of emails or texting was a guaranteed sign of going to fail by most accounts.

And phone convos are beyond useless to me, it doesn't represent how most people communicate in person.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
No, I don't lol. If they don't ask me out within 5-10 messages I will think they have a gf and just wanted some attention or they're just messing around. How long do you talk to someone before you ask them out?
I found most of my exchanges on OLD went like this:

Him: "hi how are you"
Me: "I'm fine thank you. How are you?"
Him: "i'm good too nice day out"

And that was the end of that. For the most part, 5 messages in was still exchanging pleasantries. If I initiated contact, 98% of them didn't respond. I only responded to the "hi how are you's" because if I didn't, I'd have nothing at all to respond to.

My best friend got to the point he could tell by a woman's initial response to him whether or not they'd end up meeting.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:53 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
When I meet someone in real life, our conversations are typically brief (pleasantries/chitchat/exchange numbers) there's really no way I can tell if we have 'chemistry' within that short time.

Personally, I don't put much stock into the 'chemistry/connection'. I don't know how many times Ive encountered awesome chemistry only to have that relationship fail. So Blah! to that. I just want to meet women and have fun (that's my main goal) and if something materializes, great.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:56 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't put much stock into the 'chemistry/connection'. I don't know how many times Ive encountered awesome chemistry only to have that relationship fail. So Blah! to that. I just want to meet women and have fun (that's my main goal) and if something materializes, great.
Have you ever had a relationship work out without a chemistry / connection though? Like as in develop an emotional connection?

I've had plenty with chemistry not work out, but if that connection was there then in almost every case that person became a friend, so I counted it as a successful connection.

I don't even know what I'd base a relationship on if I didn't have chemistry with someone. I sure wouldn't want to get down with them. I've tried to force that with cute chicks where there is no chemistry and the sex was never worth taking my clothes off for.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 PM

531 posts, read 380,902 times
5 mins.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:03 PM

8,170 posts, read 5,999,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I found most of my exchanges on OLD went like this:

Him: "hi how are you"
Me: "I'm fine thank you. How are you?"
Him: "i'm good too nice day out"

And that was the end of that. For the most part, 5 messages in was still exchanging pleasantries. If I initiated contact, 98% of them didn't respond. I only responded to the "hi how are you's" because if I didn't, I'd have nothing at all to respond to.

My best friend got to the point he could tell by a woman's initial response to him whether or not they'd end up meeting.
So ask them a question in return
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships