Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Fiancé and I are getting married end of November. We have been trying to find places to live in our budget. We found 2, but currently no units available. We're hoping come the fall they'll be available. We're trying not to shoot over $800 a month for rent, but most in the area and in a 30 mile radius are $1200 or more.

We're considering moving in with her Mother from start if November till mid March till my fiancé goes through the nursing boards, hopefully gets her license. At that point we'll have a little more income to be flexible with.

I feel embarrassed having to live with the M.I.L.

Anyone been through a similiar situation?
I don't get it. Why don't you just keep doing what you are doing right now for 4 more months and then move from where you are right now to an apartment? Why staying 4 months with the mother?

Why not live together for a year and then marry? What is the rush?

You are working part time? Get a real job so you can afford marrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Postpone the wedding until your fiance has taken her boards and gets a better paying job. And you do whatever you need to do to improve your financial situation. Just postpone the wedding. Take care of business first.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Why are you getting married before everyone has graduated and has a full time job established for at least a year?
You should seriously consider putting the wedding off until next year and get the rest of your life in order first.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why are you getting married before everyone has graduated and has a full time job established for at least a year?
You should seriously consider putting the wedding off until next year and get the rest of your life in order first.
Yup, best answer </endthread>

Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to have a roommate or two (good friends) in a two bedroom apartment than for a newly married couple to live with parents/in-laws.

Now, it may not work for you but for some people it is the best option.

Hey, where are the two of you living right now? And, why can't you stay there?

In general, putting off getting married until graduation is much better.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
You can get married and not change your current living situation. Not ideal, but sometimes the sacrifice is worth it, especially if it's only a few months.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Fiancé and I are getting married end of November. We have been trying to find places to live in our budget. We found 2, but currently no units available. We're hoping come the fall they'll be available. We're trying not to shoot over $800 a month for rent, but most in the area and in a 30 mile radius are $1200 or more.

We're considering moving in with her Mother from start if November till mid March till my fiancé goes through the nursing boards, hopefully gets her license. At that point we'll have a little more income to be flexible with.

I feel embarrassed having to live with the M.I.L.

Anyone been through a similiar situation?
I knew a couple that lived with her parents for a few years to save up to buy their own house. It worked out beautifully! They were able to pay cash for a house, no mortgage! Great way to start out a marriage, even if you do have to live with the in-laws for a bit to get things off on the right financial track. Having solid finances really helps a marriage get off on a strong footing, too, you know. Shaky finances can pull even the best of marriages apart.

It's something to think about.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why not live together for a year and then marry? What is the rush?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Postpone the wedding until your fiance has taken her boards and gets a better paying job. And you do whatever you need to do to improve your financial situation. Just postpone the wedding. Take care of business first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why are you getting married before everyone has graduated and has a full time job established for at least a year?You should seriously consider putting the wedding off until next year and get the rest of your life in order first.
Unless I way miss my guess (and I rarely miss...) the o.p. and fiance are either chaste or wracked with guilt over not being chaste. That's another thing Americans do very well. Stigmatize fornication. Leads to a lot of unwise marriage arrangements.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
We both have college degrees. I work as a counselor assistant at a hospital. Fiancé will start working full time is her game plan when an LPN. Part time not my choice just limited job's in my field. It's the reason I am going back to college.

Update though so the MIL possibly received an offer on her house. MIL plan to look into a 1 BDRM rent. Fiancé and I are hoping to find a rent by early November make due however we can.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Soon going to have to sit down with the Fiancé talk with her seeing how things pan out. Fiancé has this idea of moving in with the MIL, who hopefully can sell her current place. It's been on the market for some time so it's exciting.

Fiancé and the MIL are looking at these condos. It adds maybe an extra 10 to 20 minute commute time for the MIL, but she is retiring soon. I am not keen on the place because it adds on a lot of miles for my commute. Fiancé wants to eventually buy a place there. It's a decent place old heating can be high and very high common fees, offers a lot of amenities though.

I found a cheap place not the safest area, but really nice inside to rent where I could afford on my own. It's a temporary place. It balances out the commute not great, but it is what it is.

However, there's a town that adds on maybe 5 to 6 extra miles to my commute in total. For my fiancé adds an extra 30, it really stinks. Nice town, but have to wait till my fiancé finishes school and is licensed to move there.

It has an abundance of condos for renr and starter homes for sale. It is near all the amnenties we need. It's urban but rural, safe area, near good bars, near a lot of big box stores, gyms, and movie theaters. Plus utilities are inexpensive as the town runs utilities. Also school's are meh distance wise. About 10 to 15 miles from four colleges not terrible. A lot of healthcare jobs. Fiancé MIL works in the town at a rehab hospital. Fiancé company she works with is headquarters in the town. About 30 miles from where I work and 15 miles from the hospital I work at main hospital. Also a few doctor offices and 3/4 hospitals less then 10 miles away. Two othe hospitals 20 miles away. Lots of nursing homes in the area. With fiancé a CNA and LPN by the end of the year good place for her to find work. For myself I am in psych and with a hospital. However, 5 miles in the town adjacent is a psych hospital part of the largest hospital network in the state.

I am in the bind of rent this cheap place for now. My fiancé feels that she won't receive her LPN license until next May, sigh ha. Then try to convince her to switch job's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships