Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
She did at one point but has not for several months, since August 2015.
Ok. For how long, what drug, how often, can you elaborate on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
mishigas73,

I think you're right about the legal options the OP has. From what we hear, they're no greater than his wife's options, and perhaps less given their genders.

Without regard to the legality of it though, wouldn't you be a bit concerned if your spouse-partner (don't remember which) brought a new woman into your house, talked about the relationship being over, threatened you with eviction, failed to live up to current agreements, and bought a gun? It would creep me out a bit.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanMTL88 View Post
Even if the gun purchase was done legally, no judge is going to overlook the fact it was purchased with the timing being quite questionable. At the same time, OP would have no leg to stand on unless he can prove she made some sort of threat and can prove she has a criminal record and mental health issues.
The timing is: shortly before the woman planned on telling the OP they were divorcing and they were going to then logically be living apart (she could not have predicted that he would refuse to go and was likely assuming he would have wanted to leave the premises...that's not really so weird either), she bought a gun, anticipating that she was going to be living alone. She would be a woman living alone. An easy target, sorry to say.

Not weird timing at all.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The timing is: shortly before the woman planned on telling the OP they were divorcing and they were going to then logically be living apart (she could not have predicted that he would refuse to go and was likely assuming he would have wanted to leave the premises...that's not really so weird either), she bought a gun, anticipating that she was going to be living alone. She would be a woman living alone. An easy target, sorry to say.

Not weird timing at all.
Again. Genders reversed, it's a different conversation whether you'll admit it or not.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Without regard to the legality of it though, wouldn't you be a bit concerned if your spouse-partner (don't remember which) brought a new woman into your house, talked about the relationship being over, threatened you with eviction, failed to live up to current agreements, and bought a gun? It would creep me out a bit.
Yeah, no doubt that a lot of the things that have been mentioned here would creep me out (some a lot more than others).

Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Another friend of hers, a current coworker, invited her shooting and encouraged her to buy his gun that he was selling to make extra money for himself. She had never expressed interest in a gun previously. It is registered to her and I'm not going to touch it to tamper with it or for any other reason.
ANOTHER co-worker? Invited her shooting? Why are male coworkers inviting your wife anywhere? Why did she go shooting with some guy who wasn't her husband (while doing a third guy/former co-worker on the side?! ) when she's never expressed interest in guns before.

And what's going on at this office? This sounds very strange.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Another friend of hers, a current coworker, invited her shooting and encouraged her to buy his gun that he was selling to make extra money for himself. She had never expressed interest in a gun previously. It is registered to her and I'm not going to touch it to tamper with it or for any other reason.
Okay, so there's your reason.

I'm really not seeing a threat here. To you or anybody.

The threat part just doesn't make sense.

If a judge were to ask her, I suppose this is what she'd say, since it's the truth, so...?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay, so there's your reason.

I'm really not seeing a threat here. To you or anybody.

The threat part just doesn't make sense.

If a judge were to ask her, I suppose this is what she'd say, since it's the truth, so...?
The timing's a little odd. And why's she fraternizing with a co-worker and buying his gun in the first place?

My understanding was that the restraining order was about her new love interest walking into the shared domicile whenever he wants, not about the gun. I think the issues are getting conflated on this thread.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Again. Genders reversed, it's a different conversation whether you'll admit it or not.
So what? What am I required to admit? The genders are what they are, the OP's wife has her reasons (indeed, he just stated the specific reason and apparently it never had anything to do with the divorce at all, hence, even LESS "threatening" than all the inventions people came up with here ).

So there you go. She has a reason, the whole restraining order idea based on the gun started out ridiculous and now with confirmation of the wife's motives it's even more ridiculous. Mystery solved.

Quote:
The timing's a little odd. And why's she fraternizing with a co-worker and buying his gun in the first place?
Sorry, never can figure out multiquoting, that was from our Ruth4Truth, one of the voices of reason around here!

No, that I get, Ruth...the whole thing is weird, full stop...but without an actual threat, well...? I just don't think it's a wise idea for the OP to take people's advice and go rushing to the court attempting to get a restraining order based on this. He can not possibly get one, based on what he's told us here, and he will end up looking bad and in the end won't be any more protected than he is now, so...what could it accomplish? IMO.

If it were me, if I were literally afraid my spouse were going to shoot me in my sleep, then for the love of all that's holy, I wouldn't be hanging around some internet forum for days discussing it for days and casually planning a meeting with a lawyer weeks into the future, I'D BE OUT OF THERE. Because I wouldn't want to die! I am sorry, I may be cynical but this guy just doesn't sound afraid to me. At all. So, hmmm.

Yes, the situation is strange...from all angles. Somehow I doubt we're getting the whole story and I doubt the OP is as squeaky-clean as he says he is either but whatever the case may be, he can and should only do logical, legal things right now...otherwise he's only harming himself.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
mishigas73,

I think you're right about the legal options the OP has. From what we hear, they're no greater than his wife's options, and perhaps less given their genders.

If this created a hostile or incompatible living environment the judge would be likely to do "something" regarding it.

It's all situational and no one here could tell you what a judge would actually "do" or order be done.
We are not privy to all the information or their rationalization skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

My understanding was that the restraining order was about her new love interest walking into the shared domicile whenever he wants, not about the gun. I think the issues are getting conflated on this thread.
That's how I took it.
I took the gun as a show as to how much she has personally changed and the outside influence other had on her.

Personally speaking now: for everyone saying don't waste the court or police time...

Blow off.

you know damn well if you had a situation like this you would do everything you could to keep your safe place safe and worry about the rest of it after you felt secure. You're also all smart enough to understand vaildified eveidence in an impending court case is better "than he said she said"

Last edited by rego00123; 04-07-2016 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships