Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times

Advertisements

In view of Valentine's Day coming up, tell us what makes your marriage/relationship work if you are in a good one.

Also, please give your best piece of "relationship" advice-

Here's mine- What makes our relationship work?We truly love each other and we are committed to each other and to the sanctity of marriage. We also, after so much time together, (32 years!) understand each other and know what buttons not to push!

My best relationship advice-- This seems like a cliche, but here it is:
Don't sweat the small stuff. Save fighting for big, big issues. If it won't matter in 5 years, forget it.

Last edited by kaykay; 02-12-2008 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,811 times
What makes our relationship work? Because we were friends first, we knew each other's high and low points...this has helped because we understand each other's past and how it plays into our now. Love, trust and honesty all are big parts of our relationship as well. We are each other's best friend. That's what makes our relationship work.

My best relationship advice -- communication...it is so integral to a relationship. It rates up there with love and trust.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
Yup, communication. Even if it's somthing uncomfortable to discuss, it's better than holding it in. Usually I find that it's not as bad as I thought it was.

We don't have to do everything together. Everyone needs their own thing to maintain their own identity.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default communication

I find a really good pair of earpluggs works well combined with nodding, smiling and a yes here and there.

My advise is practice the smile and nod a little wink always helps.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Put the other person in the relationship before you. And put your relationship above the needs of either of you. It's not just a romance. It's a partnership.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,672 times
Default Love Advice

Accept each other for who you really are, nurture the little boy in him, the little girl in her, tell your mate how much you love them (every day), make each other laugh (every day) and always kiss each other good night!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
Just wanted to add one more thing...

Keep things in perspective. A disagreement over what color to paint the bathroom is not a major issue in the grand scheme of things. I know so many people that get into huge fights over stupid stuff... it's not worth it.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:12 AM

324 posts, read 883,729 times
My best relationship advice is to always listen, especially because I tend to make up a story in my head and get stuck on that interpretation when it is not at all what the other person is thinking.

Speaking of sappy, there are some pretty cute love stories on the Greatest Love Stories contest on YouTube. You can vote for your favorite one...I still haven't decided on mine!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
In view of Valentine's Day coming up, tell us what makes your marriage/relationship work if you are in a good one.

Also, please give your best piece of "relationship" advice-

Here's mine- What makes our relationship work?We truly love each other and we are committed to each other and to the sanctity of marriage. We also, after so much time together, (32 years!) understand each other and know what buttons not to push!

My best relationship advice-- This seems like a cliche, but here it is:
Don't sweat the small stuff. Save fighting for big, big issues. If it won't matter in 5 years, forget it.

This is a great thread KayKay and your right on with not sweating the small stuff.

My best advice would be:

LOVE is NOT enough - You MUST have some of the same goals in life and morals. I'm not saying opposites don't attract because they do ~ but you must share some of these traits.

And, don't interpret what your partner says to what you think it means, ask them to translate or be more specific, sometimes people say things one way, but mean it another. This can decrease a lot of fights or disagreements.

And before getting married. Would you want your future son or daughter to marry someone just like your soon to be spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend? If you immediately shake your head no, then something is wrong.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM

119 posts, read 517,866 times
#1 - Communication. How can you live a life time with someone who you can't talk to? To someone you can't be honest and open with? It just doesn't work.

#2 - Realize that a relationship is give and take...if you give a lot, make sure to take some too....if you take a lot, make sure you are giving too.

I agree with the advice that love isn't always enough. You must have the same goals/dreams/wants in life. I got divorced because my ex-husband and I didn't have the same wants in life (I wanted kids, he didn't), it was something I couldn't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships