Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

My mom was a late bird when she had me at 29, especially because of her generation and combined with the fact she is from the south. Her sisters has kids earlier and she wanted to "have fun" as she put it, before she got married. That likely had an impact on my own vision of my life too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
RJ, frequently posts comments as if he is some dating guru, when dude is an early-mid twenties guy that is strangely obsessed with proving that he's an alpha by providing sexist, generalized, often ignorant comments that demonstrate that he is actually . I think he means well, tbh, but his projection in this thread onto the op was ridiculous, and I'm glad she didn't give him more than a few words.

I had my son when I was 24, I am 28 and would love two more kids. I plan to make dating a priority this summer when I complete graduate school and have the time and space in my life to properly invest in a serious relationship. i believe that beliefs create reality and that I will meet the goals I have regarding family and marriage in the timeframe that I desire. However if my beliefs change or something crazy happens and for whatever reason I find myself 35 and single I would either save my eggs(procedure) or if I really wanted to make it happen without getting the procedure I would chance it. Every woman has to weigh it according to them...

My boss is 38, married to a 48 year old man, and they are going to begin trying for their second child this summer. Risky, yes? But is she worried, no!

I wish the op luck and thought her story was cute!
My analysis is generally solid. There may be an occasion or two where I provide slight hyperbole.

Finding a long term relationship as a single mother will be a moderately challenging endeavor. I believe it is one that you will overcome and I expect that you will succeed, provided that you are not overly picky in the manner that I perceive the OP to be overly picky. You will attract men because men are more desperate in a more stratified dating environment than ever in Western countries. This is an indictment of the Western male. The Western male should not embroil himself in either a casual relationship or a committed relationship with a single mother.

The OP's story is ok. 17 year old boys will hit on anything and there's an unquestionable allure to an older woman in your earlier years as a male. If he looked good and hit on her in an ok way, I'm sure it is flattering. It's a nice ego boost for sure. It's part of female privilege.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am over it on looking young to be honest. Occasionally it is helpful. Working in tech it pays to not be perceived as old. But I am 37, so I don't need 20 somethings or teens hitting on me!

This kid gets bonus points. He didn't run off looking horrified like another similar moment where the guy was 25. Lol.
Dang you must be fine for a young buck to hit on you at 37!

That's awesome!!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:18 AM

308 posts, read 445,964 times
A few weeks after I got married I went out to get dinner for my wife and I. Out of the blue the cashier, who was probably the typical 16, 17 year old fast food worker, asks me how old I am.

The entire conversation:

Her: "Hi. can I take your order?"
Me: "Yeah I'd like... (food) ... to go."
Her: "That will be $xx.xx."
Her: "Thank you."
A few seconds later...
Her: "How old are you?"
Me, shocked "Uhh, 27."
Her: "Oh."

Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
My analysis is generally solid. There may be an occasion or two where I provide slight hyperbole.

Finding a long term relationship as a single mother will be a moderately challenging endeavor. I believe it is one that you will overcome and I expect that you will succeed, provided that you are not overly picky in the manner that I perceive the OP to be overly picky. You will attract men because men are more desperate in a more stratified dating environment than ever in Western countries. This is an indictment of the Western male. The Western male should not embroil himself in either a casual relationship or a committed relationship with a single mother.

The OP's story is ok. 17 year old boys will hit on anything and there's an unquestionable allure to an older woman in your earlier years as a male. If he looked good and hit on her in an ok way, I'm sure it is flattering. It's a nice ego boost for sure. It's part of female privilege.
I have never had a problem getting in a relationship since having my son. I was in one, a few months after me and his father broke it off for good. The man and I were in a relationship which ended when my mother died and I moved 10 hours away. I then went on to date a few other men, and my most recent relationship ended because I chose to go back to grad school and was not willing to make sacrifices to the relationship, in addition to working full time and caring for a toddler. Since then I've been single by choice focusing on school, work, and my son. And even still I've been asked out on dates, I get hit on frequently, and the majority of the time these are men that meet my criteria.

Too often people believe that every single mother has the same horrible experience and it isn't true. If you are very attractive, have yourself together, and aren't desperate, men sense your confidence and are attracted. They may not like that your a parent, but I have yet to meet a man that matched what I was looking for that ran the other direction when I revealed I was a parent.

I have no doubt that I will get married as a single mother to the man that meets my criteria(and obviously I will meet his) and while I appreciate your thoughts on my success, I stand by what I said that you do often give generalized advice and that in this thread you were projecting.

You don't find anything wrong with your comment to the op? She was simply talking about a 17 year old that hit on her and you lashed out and acted as if she was being high and mighty for being her age and not caring as much about dating and having a family as you think she should be. If you follow any of the op's other threads and posts she always come off as optimistic, stable and kind. I just don't see how you came to the conclusion that she was picky.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In France, it's always been regarded as a rite of passage for young men.
I should have moved to France then lol

Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,287 times
But, what if younger women hit on you. About 15 years younger? I have seen that on my end. Older men secure, wiser etc etc syndrome?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Dang you must be fine for a young buck to hit on you at 37!

That's awesome!!
I'm average, but smile an above average amount of time.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
But, what if younger women hit on you. About 15 years younger? I have seen that on my end. Older men secure, wiser etc etc syndrome?
It could be replacement dad syndrome, it could be I'm sick of immature people my age syndrome, or it could be gold digger syndrome. Or you could look younger.

I think I am most weirded out by super old people hitting on young people. It feels sketchy to me!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It could be replacement dad syndrome, it could be I'm sick of immature people my age syndrome, or it could be gold digger syndrome. Or you could look younger.

I think I am most weirded out by super old people hitting on young people. It feels sketchy to me!
It's why I don't hit on young women now. It's weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships