Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

It's not "interesting" at all. If you want to try to make a point, you should just say it.

Regardless of how the OP would like to frame those trips of hers, he said they were business trips. This is not. A week alone in a foreign country for pleasure?? For a parent of small kids, it's the definition of self-indulgent.

Whatever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Whatever
You know what "self-indulgent" means, right??

Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

It's not "interesting" at all. If you want to try to make a point, you should just say it.

Regardless of how the OP would like to frame those trips of hers, he said they were business trips. This is not. A week alone in a foreign country for pleasure?? For a parent of small kids, it's the definition of self-indulgent.
Here's what I found interesting, actually, if we're talking interesting...

He's obviously counting her work-related trips as pleasure trips, implying that they count as leisure time, and in doing so, making a case for his own solo pleasure travel.

At the same time, he's already spending sizable stretches of time traveling out of the country, albeit with his family.

So, her trips count as personal vacation, in his book, even if they're for work. His trips abroad, however, don't really count as personal vacation, and therefore he should get more of them.

And, yes, I completely agree that "indulgent" very much describes spending weeklong-plus stretches of time out of the country for pleasure when one has small children at home. Maybe that's perfectly fine, depending on the dynamics of the household (though I suspect not, since the OP appears to think it's going to pose a problem). But, none the less, it is assuredly an indulgence.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here's what I found interesting, actually, if we're talking interesting...

He's obviously counting her work-related trips as pleasure trips, implying that they count as leisure time, and in doing so, making a case for his own solo pleasure travel.

At the same time, he's already spending sizable stretches of time traveling out of the country, albeit with his family.

So, her trips count as personal vacation, in his book, even if they're for work. His trips abroad, however, don't really count as personal vacation, and therefore he should get more of them.

And, yes, I completely agree that "indulgent" very much describes spending weeklong-plus stretches of time out of the country for pleasure when one has small children at home. Maybe that's perfectly fine, depending on the dynamics of the household (though I suspect not, since the OP appears to think it's going to pose a problem). But, none the less, it is assuredly an indulgence.
Correct.

For a parent of small kids, getting to spend a week, whether in Europe or Peoria, thinking nothing but your own thoughts and doing exactly what you and only you would want to do is indulgent.

That's not an indictment. It's just a fact.

The wife may be totally fine with this, and maybe the OP just feels a tad bit guilty about it. They just have to figure it out.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 PM

I've already stated up thread that the guy needs to talk to his wife about this thing, doesn't have much to do with a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum.

If his wife is ok with it then fine, he can/should go, otherwise not.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Lol, I grew up near Peoria.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Lol, I grew up near Peoria.
Whoa ...

Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've already stated up thread that the guy needs to talk to his wife about this thing, doesn't have much to do with a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum.

Which could basically be stated for 99% of threads started on this subforum, so if we're going to go that route, might as just well have "Talk to your spouse/SO/not the internet/endthread" already cued up on Control+V and make it the default first response on the vast majority of threads. Right?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Whoa ...
I probably wouldn't go there for my most self-indulgent week to ten days of solo vacation, though.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Which could basically be stated for 99% of threads started on this subforum, so if we're going to go that route, might as just well have "Talk to your spouse/SO/not the internet/endthread" already cued up on Control+V and make it the default first response on the vast majority of threads. Right?

That would be applicable in that 90 percent of threads here are probably BS, this one might actually be legit and warrants an actual conversation with the other person in said story.

Most of the threads in this sub forum don't strike me as being real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships