Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times

Advertisements

I use Omegle.comm
Since last month I put in interests - hippie,bohemian,literature etc I meet plenty of them that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Yes. Absolutely. But I do not know where they congregate, and online is a crap shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
I would much prefer to date a hippie/eccentric/bohemian I don't meet them too often,I met one recently who I really liked and I myself am one.
I did fall in love with a very boring ordinary guy last year don't know how that happened.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:24 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you violated one of life's cardinal rules: To Thine Own Self Be True. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of adolescents and college students.

Little (or big) eccentricities are what make people unique individuals and give them personality. I need to be around creative types, people who have some visionary quality while managing to keep both feet on the ground. Life would be too bland, otherwise. You've made yourself bland. Now you need to break out of that box, and be You, your genuine self.

Good luck, and enjoy your process of liberation!
I remember those days. I was worried about what people think about me. Then one day I decided "Screw it."

There's all kinds of people in this world. As long as I'm not hurting people, then I'm ok.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:47 AM

66 posts, read 48,707 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by "eccentric"? There is a notion in some places that weirdos with unstable lives are interesting. If that floats your boat, go for it, but I personally don't find instability to be interesting, I find it stressful.

Now, if you mean real people doing real things...that's something else entirely. We don't have to have the entirety of who we are dictated by what we do. There are accountants who work as "knights" and joust on the weekends. There are farmers who real Plato on the tractor while eating lunch. There are people who own no television but have 1000+ music CDs. There are tradesmen who hand build period instruments of the past on their days off. There are people who eschew the industrial school system and educate their children at home, using many different methods and philosophies. There are electricians who paint religious icons on their days off.

Every single one of these are people that I personally know, in my little corner of the world, not theoretical examples.

Stable lives and incomes are not antithetical to creativity and interest.

If you don't feel you have enough creativity in your life, then start something new. Talk to your wife and ask her to join you. Your life doesn't have to be boring or non-fulfilling just because it's stable.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
This thread is eccentric.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
"Normal" is totally lame to me - So, yes.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Sure... depends on what eccentric entails and if I clicked with them. Some of the women I dated are outliers in the dating world and I have no regrets.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
I *am* an eccentric in my own way. So yes.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Functional and eccentric - absolutely! Creative and quirky makes for an interesting person, as long as they can function well in society and in a relationship.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
When I was younger everyone told me that the worst thing in the world to be was weird. So I worked so hard to be normal and average. I wanted to fit in and be like everyone else. When I looked for relationships I tried hard to attract average mainstream people who were not eccentric or different than the norm. I wanted my normal average friends to respect my girl friend and later my wife. I did not want to be connected with anyone who was weird, different or eccentric. I chose Accountants vs. artists/writers/actors as lovers and friends. (Even though I found them boring, I respected their mainstream appeal and practical approach to life.) My wife is an Accountant.

Now as I get older I wish that I would have been more open to who I associated with and befriended. I wish I would have let my eccentric side come out and maybe even have married someone who was openly eccentric.

I am not talking about someone who is so weird that they don't function in society or can't get along with anyone or hold a job, but instead someone who is creative and different than the normal mainstream person.

How about you, would you be open to a relationship with an eccentric or is it best to go for someone more normal and practical who fits well into mainstream society?

I'm engaged to an eccentric and I lean more toward that way myself, though can blend into seeming normal way more than he can; I'd actually say that probably a good percentage of people who are my acquaintances, like at work, would say I'm pretty much normal definitely not eccentric.

To me, I probably wouldn't be too interested in a "normal" person. I remember when I ended my last relationship with someone who was also weird, I said I just want to be with someone who's normal! But that wasn't God's plan for me. Sometimes our relationship can be frustrating, but I think that's more or less how most relationships, if not all, go. At least we have a few things in common and share a common vision of what we'd like our future to be. And I feel comfortable around him, something which is hard for me to get when I'm around most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships