Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Because people tend to judge me by it
Right or wrong ...

If you date outside your race, you will be judged.

If you date a felon, you will be judged.

Judgment is not always right, but discernment is not a bad thing. You SHOULD be keeping your guard up and not building this "him and me against the world" scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,890,775 times
If I was your dad, I would not care what color his skin was or what his background was. I would only care about his character and actions now. The fact that he is smoking pot and violating the terms of his probation would tell me either:

that he is dishonest and of very low character
or
that he is an addict.

Both of these mean that you are making co-dependent choices by being with him and I would disengage from your bad choices.

If you were my adult daughter, I would let you make your own adult decisions, but I would not enable you to enable him. That would mean you not bringing him around me. It would also mean not giving you financial support. Your life with him would be separate and you would have to pick up the pieces yourself when things blow up.

As an adult, you will need to face the consequences of your decisions.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
It sort of does matter because his crimes were considered petty crimes. I even was about to spend time in jail over an unpaid speeding ticket,

I know what he doing isn't right but the county jail is far different from the prison
stealing a firearm is a felony offense. Usually a Federal one. I'm mystified how he got only 90 days county for that. That's a more serious issue than a B&E and drinking some milk, and he got a year for that? Something doesn't seem right. Theft of a firearm gets ATF involved. Swiping a firearm with having a prior that cost him a year, a d only getting 90 days just raises my eyebrows. That's a serious felony offense. Doesn't add up to me. Did they drop the firearm charge or something?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 AM

525 posts, read 405,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Right or wrong ...

If you date outside your race, you will be judged.

If you date a felon, you will be judged.

Judgment is not always right, but discernment is not a bad thing. You SHOULD be keeping your guard up and not building this "him and me against the world" scenario.

not doing that. I guess it is hard for you all to really
understand because you all are not the one dating him and also never met or seen him before. He honestly is a great person just a work in progress.

He has taking some initiatives to stop, but he always slips up every now and then. The problem is will he ever get into trouble again.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
stealing a firearm is a felony offense. Usually a Federal one. I'm mystified how he got only 90 days county for that. That's a more serious issue than a B&E and drinking some milk, and he got a year for that? Something doesn't seem right. Theft of a firearm gets ATF involved. Swiping a firearm with having a prior that cost him a year, a d only getting 90 days just raises my eyebrows. That's a serious felony offense. Doesn't add up to me. Did they drop the firearm charge or something?

I believe he said because it was his first offense

Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
If I was your dad, I would not care what color his skin was or what his background was. I would only care about his character and actions now. The fact that he is smoking pot and violating the terms of his probation would tell me either:

that he is dishonest and of very low character
or
that he is an addict.

Both of these mean that you are making co-dependent choices by being with him and I would disengage from your bad choices.

If you were my adult daughter, I would let you make your own adult decisions, but I would not enable you to enable him. That would mean you not bringing him around me. It would also mean not giving you financial support. Your life with him would be separate and you would have to pick up the pieces yourself when things blow up.

As an adult, you will need to face the consequences of your decisions.

Yes I would do the same as a parent.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:52 AM

57 posts, read 50,837 times
Someone once told me "never date someone you need to explain to your friends" and that really stuck.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Why don't you take a break now, let him make some progress on his own over the next few months and reevaluate then?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,890,775 times
Quote:
not doing that. I guess it is hard for you all to really
understand because you all are not the one dating him and also never met or seen him before. He honestly is a great person just a work in progress.

He has taking some initiatives to stop, but he always slips up every now and then. The problem is will he ever get into trouble again.
Have you had other boyfriends in the past? If so, what were they like?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why don't you take a break now, let him make some progress on his own over the next few months and reevaluate then?

I told him that after today I will not bring up him violating his probation ever again. I hope he is really telling the truth that he is changing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships