Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 3,178 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is emotionally abusive (or so I think). I haven't been in many relationships in my life but never have I had a guy call me names like I'm back in middle school or put me down so much. Most of this stems from jealousy. We've been dating for about 3 months going on 4. We fell for each other quite hard pretty quickly. I am head over heels for this guy and care about him so much but every time he goes off the deep end, it makes me want to run. I tell him to stop losing his temper or else it's over but he would apologize and it would happen again. He told me that this is normal in relationships, but this feeling of being so emotionally drained doesn't feel normal to me? I'm a very patient and calm person so when he gets mad, I just sit there or just leave altogether. The next morning he would always call me constantly to apologize and promise that it would never happen again, but it does. He's NOT physically abusive in the slightest, but these arguments do make me cry a lot. He says I'm too sensitive, which I probably am, but I couldn't imagine any girl not crying over some of the things he says. I honestly feel like he can be *the one* aside from the tantrums - he's very loving, affectionate, etc etc except for when he's not. He told me that he has never felt such strong feelings for someone before and that he cares about me tremendously and I don't doubt it. He can be a bit much, sometimes I mention getting some space but he gets offended and sulks. He says that everyone says things they don't mean when they're angry. I just don't understand how someone can say such offensive stuff to someone they truly care about, regardless of how angry they are?

So, what's the deal? I know looking from the outside in, I should probably run for my life. But could this be normal in a relationship? I mean I know all couples argue, but to what extent before it crosses some arbitrary line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Your impression is correct.

If you want to be in a relationship with endless arguing, up and down drama, and the emotional hurt you describe stay with him but it sounds like you do not. I think it would be too wearing on you personally. Let him find someone who thrives on that sort of stuff and I'm sure there are people who prefer to live that way. Find someone else who suits your temperament better and you'll be a lot happier.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
No it is not normal. You are dating a controlling, manipulative, man-child. Run.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 AM

298 posts, read 276,831 times
Well it depends, I mean some people like to show tough love, but they don't know how to do it right, to the point where they go far enough to give you an earful of hardcore exasperation, that becomes hostile and a raging annoyance to someone. I guess you are going through a hard time with your boyfriend and the tough love he is demonstrating to you is an example of him showing to you that he really loves you and does not want you to be excluded from his life, now if he is being abusive and becoming aggressive and intensifying his actions, then that is when you should recommend yourself to part-ways from this dude who is provoking your emotions even more.

Not every relationship is perfect, all couples end up in situations that escalate in drama and prompt in arguments and etc... but you should be fine, let your boyfriend know what is his jealousy about and what are you doing to make his jealousy precipitate.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:55 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Well it depends, I mean some people like to show tough love, but they don't know how to do it right, to the point where they go far enough to give you an earful of hardcore exasperation, that becomes hostile and a raging annoyance to someone. I guess you are going through a hard time with your boyfriend and the tough love he is demonstrating to you is an example of him showing to you that he really loves you and does not want you to be excluded from his life, now if he is being abusive and becoming aggressive and intensifying his actions, then that is when you should recommend yourself to part-ways from this dude who is provoking your emotions even more.

Not every relationship is perfect, all couples end up in situations that escalate in drama and prompt in arguments and etc... but you should be fine, let your boyfriend know what is his jealousy about and what are you doing to make his jealousy precipitate.
People do not show other people how much they love them by calling them names and making them cry.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopers321 View Post
My boyfriend is emotionally abusive (or so I think).

So, what's the deal? I know looking from the outside in, I should probably run for my life. But could this be normal in a relationship? I mean I know all couples argue, but to what extent before it crosses some arbitrary line?
Your first sentence tells you everything you need to know. He is emotionally abusive to you. Get out of this relationship.

Disagreements and arguing happen in all relationships. No two people agree on everything, but name calling, etc. is not the way mature, whole adults handle disagreement. It's crossed the line.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post

Baloney. He's abusive. She is not a wayward teen-ager who requires "tough love." That's absolutely ridiculous. She's an adult and deserves respect. If he doesn't like something about her then the adult thing to do is move on, not explain, in detail, how he thinks she sucks. That's abuse, plain and simple.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 AM

185 posts, read 134,192 times
This is not normal and the fact that he keeps trying to convince you it is just speaks to the abuse. You should end this relationship and cut off all contact with this person. There is a possibility he might try to reel you back in with more apologies and promises to never do it again. Do not listen. The behavior will only change until he feels he has you back where he wants and then he will start the abuse again.

Last edited by miasth; 04-12-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopers321 View Post
never have I had a guy call me names like I'm back in middle school or put me down so much.
he would apologize and it would happen again. He told me that this is normal in relationships
He says I'm too sensitive, which I probably am, but I couldn't imagine any girl not crying over some of the things he says.
he's very loving, affectionate, etc etc except for when he's not.
sometimes I mention getting some space but he gets offended and sulks. He says that everyone says things they don't mean when they're angry. I just don't understand how someone can say such offensive stuff to someone they truly care about, regardless of how angry they are?

You need to drop this abusive loser like a hot potato. The longer you allow him to do this, the more he will think it's okay, and it will escalate.

Run.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
This relationship sounds like a train wreck. He sounds manipulative and controlling. And it will get worse. I think you know what you need to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships