Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:12 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
No matter what the past, friends of the opposite sex are always a potential problem and threat to the marriage. Frankly, I don't understand guys who want to hang out and be friends with women. Men are usually into cars, guns, hunting, type stuff, which most women have very little interest in. IMHO, a guy who wants to keep up a "friendship" with a woman may very well be looking to score.
Exactly how I feel too. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or whatever.... I don't seek close friendships with men that I know who are in a relationship or married. To me, it's not appropriate and eventually can lead to trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
No matter what the past, friends of the opposite sex are always a potential problem and threat to the marriage. Frankly, I don't understand guys who want to hang out and be friends with women. Men are usually into cars, guns, hunting, type stuff, which most women have very little interest in. IMHO, a guy who wants to keep up a "friendship" with a woman may very well be looking to score.
You watch too many sitcoms, or live in the South/Midwest.

Men and women tend to be into the same things. It's what we do together, as friends or as dates.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:34 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
An old crush that he never sampled is worse than an ex because ....well, just that.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Exactly how I feel too. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or whatever.... I don't seek close friendships with men that I know who are in a relationship or married. To me, it's not appropriate and eventually can lead to trouble.
I agree. I think, any smart person with relationship experience would avoid potential problems; like allowing a former lover/crush orbiting around their relationship.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
I don't believe that friendships between opposite sexes are possible past the age of sexual maturity. I believe that in such case at least one side has alternate plans for this relationship, even if they are conditional and far off in the future. "Friendzoned" guys may seem like an exception, but they are not: The guy is hoping for something he will never get and the woman is just using him as an emotional tampon or a shopping buddy - this setup is far from anything that could fit a definition of friendship.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
I don't believe that friendships between opposite sexes are possible past the age of sexual maturity. I believe that in such case at least one side has alternate plans for this relationship, even if they are conditional and far off in the future. "Friendzoned" guys may seem like an exception, but they are not: The guy is hoping for something he will never get and the woman is just using him as an emotional tampon or a shopping buddy - this setup is far from anything that could fit a definition of friendship.
So my friendships with women where I don't want anything more and they've don't want anything more aren't real? OK. I've had some real good 25+ year non real friendships.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
How many tired stereotypes can one fit into a short paragraph?

*shrug* Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years by not considering someone's genitalia when making friends.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:41 AM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
I think men and women can be friends. I also think men who are friends with women make better partners. The whole thing that something " could " happen doesn't wash with me, because anything could happen in life regardless. Like when my husband travels on his own or goes out on a guys night, I suppose he " could" meet a woman at a restaurant or bar, but that doesn't mean he never should go. I think friendships are an important part of life, whether it be with a man or women, friends can get you through hard times and be there for you. Yes, your partner is there too, but I also don't think it's healthy to rely only on one person for your entire support system. I would never tell my husband who he can be friends with. One of my dad's best friends is a woman, it hasn't affected his marriage. We all know her and love her like family. And yes, they do hang out alone sometimes as they are both into photography and like to go to art galleries and things like that, or go on picture taking outings. Sometimes they will even stop and have drinks at a pub afterwards. Not a big deal.

But in this case, I don't think this relationship is healthy and should probably end. If the friendship is hidden or there are manipulations etc, that is a totally different story.

Last edited by canadiangirl_2015; 04-12-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 12,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Frankly, I think your emphasis on "energy" is distracting you from the extent of the problem.

It "angered" him when you tried to leave before?? LOL Look, don't let his dysfunction manipulate you into overlooking the fact that he is basically a liar and a hypocrite who wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Listen to the healthy part of you that is telling you to get out.
thank you so much, wmsn4life.

i have used many distractions and excuses, basically because he was much more open before he changed and we used to have a beautiful relationship.

facing new facts are hard but I am now doing it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalpaw View Post
the lack of openness bothers me the most, I think.

I mean, we are quite evolved, .
Lack of openness is not evolved. It is the opposite of evolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships