Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If a woman has a child, it seems judgmental to be like, "Whoa, where the hell did the dad go?" As if this reflects on the woman any more or less than if a spouse or SO exited the picture the same increment of time ago and there is no child in the picture. Would one ask "Whoa, where the hell did your ex-boyfriend go?" if a single woman with no children also had a previous relationship end, say, 16 months prior? Probably not.
I dated someone who at the time had a one year old, yeah, she was exhausted most of the time, and the first couple of times she stayed over (it went very slow, very...) she had trouble relaxing, it really wasn't until she was about 4 before she could totally relax, honestly, and even then, she didn't cut loose until the bedtime call came in.

And there was no ex there, but I never ask these things, I let them (single mothers) volunteer it when they're ready. Just seems safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never ask these things, I let them (single mothers) volunteer it when they're ready. Just seems safer.
This is a good default strategy imo, unless it's the sort of thing that really really picks at you when you don't know (which probably warrants its own analysis!). I've found it to be safer as well.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
With the comments I have seen on this thread I will not be using online dating ever in my life. I see a lot bitterness and anger from some of these posts and I'd rather keep my sanity.
In all honesty,why would this have any bearing on how you choose to meet people whatsoever?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
It isn't. JerZ keeps pushing the whole, "I'm trying to save them the trouble of wasting their time" bit, but consider which is more likely from the poster's perspective.
Nope, I keep saying over and over again that it's both. She doesn't want to waste his time, she doesn't want to waste her time.

It's pretty clear, if you go back and read. Thanks!

Now...

Quote:
She would have you believe that it's the first option. It's not. (aside from the limited correlation between both options, and I'd submit that if someone sticks to that, then they're being deliberately obtuse) You can see the difference on other profiles. There's a couple of posters here that do it quite well, though I wouldn't want to single them out unless I knew it'd be ok with them.
It's obvious from your increasingly agitated language that my answers are REALLY bothering you. I am sorry to hear that. Rather than continuing to attempt to barb remarks in my direction, why not PM me? I'd be glad to discuss this with you in a way that would not detract from the thread or from the points being made.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I dated someone who at the time had a one year old, yeah, she was exhausted most of the time, and the first couple of times she stayed over (it went very slow, very...) she had trouble relaxing, it really wasn't until she was about 4 before she could totally relax, honestly, and even then, she didn't cut loose until the bedtime call came in.

And there was no ex there, but I never ask these things, I let them (single mothers) volunteer it when they're ready. Just seems safer.
Yep.

I think nobody really has a "rulebook" on how to do this, so to speak. So it's a learning curve. She was conflicted. She wanted an adult relationship but her child really was still very young. That IS tough. But obviously you both wanted to try, as you were together for three years.

Dating as a single parent isn't easy and you don't really know how you'll feel about it until you're in that situation.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yep.

I think nobody really has a "rulebook" on how to do this, so to speak. So it's a learning curve. She was conflicted. She wanted an adult relationship but her child really was still very young. That IS tough. But obviously you both wanted to try, as you were together for three years.

Dating as a single parent isn't easy and you don't really know how you'll feel about it until you're in that situation.
Five total, but it was casual as it was long distance. More or less, except when she was on sabbatical, I was the escape.

She got married now to a guy with two daughters, and her daughter is stoked to have siblings. An all around happy story. She's a pretty amazing woman, and her husband seems also amazing.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
It isn't. JerZ keeps pushing the whole, "I'm trying to save them the trouble of wasting their time" bit, but consider which is more likely from the poster's perspective.

"No XYZ"

The post I made was referring only to the small child/baby situation, not all kinds of negative profiles.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As you missed from mine, you misrepresented what I said and neglected to note that I said it was both. That's what I've corrected you on.

You may wish to re-read in order to be clear?
There's no need. I see a lot of you focusing on one, and just barely enough on the other to try and maintain some semblance of balance. If you're concerned with being misrepresented, you could be more clear. If you feel you're plenty clear, then there's no need to worry about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The post I made was referring only to the small child/baby situation, not all kinds of negative profiles.
I got it. It's certainly more relevant in that case than in the examples that I was using, which were more related to the OP than to your post in particular; you just happened to ask a question that was worth responding to. I'm of the opinion that anything that significant is worth mentioning, though (as in all cases) tact is everything.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
No man wants to be with a complaining, combative individual with an attitude.
No woman wants to be with a complaining, combative man who doesn't know enough to stop doing things that tick him off, like reading OLD profiles.

Just saying. The screed you wrote is pretty ironic. People--men and women--will write what they write, and there's nothing you can do about it. A wise adult simply clicks off and moves to another profile, or, if the "majority" of profiles are not to his or her liking, just stops looking at them and stops bothering with OLD. I did. Not worth my time and energy to get bent about randos.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
No woman wants to be with a complaining, combative man who doesn't know enough to stop doing things that tick him off, like reading OLD profiles.

Just saying. The screed you wrote is pretty ironic. People--men and women--will write what they write, and there's nothing you can do about it. A wise adult simply clicks off and moves to another profile, or, if the "majority" of profiles are not to his or her liking, just stops looking at them and stops bothering with OLD. I did. Not worth my time and energy to get bent about randos.
This.

I honest to God don't know how it could get any easier than: don't like? Swipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships