Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
My husband and I go to different churches,but before we got married,he said he would go with me.He has on occasion,but it has been VERY rare. The only time he goes to church at all now is when we are visiting his mother in another state and I always go with him even though I'm not fond of the way they worship. I find it odd and unusual that he is satisfied with only going three times a year,but that is a personal thing between him and God. I also know that going to church doesn't make you a Christian,but it helps keep me balanced and centered. I get tired of going by myself and when I see other couples worshipping together,I long for that and feel kind of sad.😰 However,obviously,it's not a deal breaker and I do not ever mention it to him anymore because I don't want to be a nagging wife. We make a very good team otherwise and go and do other things together. He thinks it's a petty thing and maybe it is,but not to me. All I can do is keep doing what I'm doing and pray.🙏🏻 Does anyone else deal with this and feel this way?
IMO people that only attend church 2 or 3 times a year are missing the entire point. In the end, there's no points for being "religious".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM

475 posts, read 648,410 times
Question Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It is supposed to be a day of rest. So many who choose to avoid church are actually following the command. Appreciate that he doesn't let the church steal the Sabbath from him, if that is the case with him.
How in the world does church "steal" the day of rest from any believer??

Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM

475 posts, read 648,410 times
Default Are you certain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
If he's Catholic he's still a Christian.

I'd either drop it or find a non-denominational church you both like and go there.
I am not so sure about that as Catholicism is based upon ones works whereas Christianity is based on Jesus and that he did the "work" in dying for us and then the resurrection. IMO Catholicism's beliefs seem to detract from what Jesus did for us.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:36 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
I am not so sure about that as Catholicism is based upon ones works whereas Christianity is based on Jesus and that he did the "work" in dying for us and then the resurrection. IMO Catholicism's beliefs seem to detract from what Jesus did for us.
Yes, I'm certain, and take your prejudice over to the religion forum, thanks.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:41 AM

638 posts, read 992,420 times
Sorry folks......I didn't mean to start a religious war. Actually,I regret ever starting this thread. Is there a way to remove it?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM

638 posts, read 992,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
How in the world does church "steal" the day of rest from any believer??
I couldn't wrap my head around that either.😏 Don't understand at all.🤔

Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 AM

458 posts, read 329,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
My husband and I go to different churches,but before we got married,he said he would go with me.He has on occasion,but it has been VERY rare. The only time he goes to church at all now is when we are visiting his mother in another state and I always go with him even though I'm not fond of the way they worship. I find it odd and unusual that he is satisfied with only going three times a year,but that is a personal thing between him and God. I also know that going to church doesn't make you a Christian,but it helps keep me balanced and centered. I get tired of going by myself and when I see other couples worshipping together,I long for that and feel kind of sad.😰 However,obviously,it's not a deal breaker and I do not ever mention it to him anymore because I don't want to be a nagging wife. We make a very good team otherwise and go and do other things together. He thinks it's a petty thing and maybe it is,but not to me. All I can do is keep doing what I'm doing and pray.🙏🏻 Does anyone else deal with this and feel this way?
It may not be a deal breaker for you, but it is important to you. Worship is an intimate experience. Its only natural for you to want to share that with your husband. A cord of three is not easily broken. Maybe you could compromise and find a new church that you both can enjoy.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 AM

372 posts, read 455,985 times
I am sorry for you. This is not a good situation. There could be many worse situations, but still...

Your husband is supposed to be the head of the family, just as Christ is head of the Church. A major responsibility to that is leading the family spiritually. How can a man lead his family to heaven when he is not worshiping with the family? Sunday, the FIRST day of the week (separate from the Sabbath, the last day of the week) is set aside to remember Christ, worship Him, and grow stronger in the faith. Is it possible to do these things outside of attending church services?

The question is, "How can you, as his wife, help him better accomplish his duties as spiritual head?"

From experience (as a husband who has not always lead his family well) I can say that the most effective thing you can do is gently guide your husband by making requests... "Could we read the bible together as a family one night this week? It means (would mean) so much to us all to get your insight." Leave it open so you don't put pressure to do something he is not prepared to do, but plant the seed and keep making the request. When you do study together show enthusiasm and positive support for his guidance and ask for his views. Your doctrinal differences should provide a wealth of opportunity to ask why he believes certain things. Make it about the connection, wanting to follow his spiritual lead, and not about confrontation and who is right.

Don't lie, don't nag, don't beg, but encourage and show confidence and appreciation in his abilities to lead and he will want to do more. You may have to compromise on where you worship.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:24 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
I understand that religion is a personal thing but unless they're sacrificing goats at the altar and dancing around naked or having a rave with a guy dressed as Jesus passed over everyone's heads, I'm surprised that this couple can not get past their not quite loving the other's place of worship and just alternate weeks at the churches.

I mean really, would it kill the guy? (Or the OP, for that matter.)

Just switch off your weeks as a show of solidarity and support for one another and then nobody will need to feel neglected.

I went to church all the time with my first husband because he was Catholic and church was important to him. I'm an atheist, LOL. So...talk about a difference in philosophy. But it was important to him that I be there with him, holding his hand, so I did it for that reason. It didn't kill me. I am here to tell the tale.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 AM

733 posts, read 602,725 times
I'm an atheist, I can't imagine what if my wife wants me to go to her church.

Why don't you just go to your own church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships