Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:51 PM

20 posts, read 13,298 times

Advertisements

I'm 35 and I've never had a relationship or any intimate contact with women. I'm not super ugly, though. I'm average looking, dress well and try to keep in shape.

I had major depression/anxiety issues in my teens and early adult years. Fortunately I overcame them and have a nice stable life now. I do take a very light medication for anxiety on a daily basis. It's the only way to keep it under control. No amount of exercise can take it away.

I travel on business trips about 20/25 weeks a year. When I'm not working, I dive into my hedonistic activities. Books, cinema, museums, leisure travel, shopping for new gadgets, taking my dog for walks etc. I also enjoy being with friends even though that's increasingly rare these days since most of them have partners and kids.

I'll also start a post-grad next month.

I see a lot of people with relationship problems and I kind of feel good that I won't ever have such problems and my personal life will always be uncomplicated. It's a part of my life that's completely solved. To be honest, no woman has ever expressed any interest in me so that was pretty much a non-issue from the start.

However, sometimes I fear I'll be so into myself that others will have a hard time dealing with me. These days my only contact with other people is pretty much through my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Bad according to whom? Society? Your family? Your friends? Random strangers on a public forum?
Unless anyone besides yourself lives your life and pays your bills their opinion means diddly and squat.

Edited to add: I think if you truly believe you have a *nice stable life* you would not have started this thread....

Old 04-17-2016, 01:04 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Wow. Our definitions of hedonism are quite different.

As long as you are not hurting anyone it is your right to do what makes you happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wow. Our definitions of hedonism are quite different.
I was gonna say. I don't know many people whose definition of hedonism doesn't include lots of sex.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Edited to add: I think if you truly believe you have a *nice stable life* you would not have started this thread....
It's just food for thought, I think it's good to question yourself once in a while.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was gonna say. I don't know many people whose definition of hedonism doesn't include lots of sex.
I'm sure that would be included...but I can't include something I've never had.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
The purpose of a man's life is: goal directed action.

And his mind is the tool with which he uses to establish a hierarchy of values and determine what his goals are with the limited amount of time he is given on Earth.

Only you can decide what the purpose of your life is and as long as it does not infringe or violate the rights of any other person, then nobody else can judge or give you guidance as to what you should do.

A self actualized man/entity is responsible for his own choices, decisions, effort and goals.

Peace,

Sky-0

Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
No, why would it be? It doesn't sound like you're hurting anyone. And you're self-supporting. Ergo: so what? Go for it.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:56 PM

52,264 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcQroy View Post
I'm 35 and I've never had a relationship or any intimate contact with women. I'm not super ugly, though. I'm average looking, dress well and try to keep in shape.

I had major depression/anxiety issues in my teens and early adult years. Fortunately I overcame them and have a nice stable life now. I do take a very light medication for anxiety on a daily basis. It's the only way to keep it under control. No amount of exercise can take it away.

I travel on business trips about 20/25 weeks a year. When I'm not working, I dive into my hedonistic activities. Books, cinema, museums, leisure travel, shopping for new gadgets, taking my dog for walks etc. I also enjoy being with friends even though that's increasingly rare these days since most of them have partners and kids.

I'll also start a post-grad next month.

I see a lot of people with relationship problems and I kind of feel good that I won't ever have such problems and my personal life will always be uncomplicated. It's a part of my life that's completely solved. To be honest, no woman has ever expressed any interest in me so that was pretty much a non-issue from the start.

However, sometimes I fear I'll be so into myself that others will have a hard time dealing with me. These days my only contact with other people is pretty much through my job.

Your life isn't really hedonistic, I think that was a bit of an over-stretch of that word. I think your life comes off as self-centered, not making a judgment morally, it just sounds like you don't wanna deal with the "complications" that having a wife and kids brings.

If you ain't hurting no one, it's no ones business how you live your life.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:06 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
What you call hedonism I call life. I do all the same stuff but with a husband.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships