Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 PM

10 posts, read 6,178 times

Advertisements

This has been a good year so far for me. I just contracted on a brand new construction home that is going to be completed this fall. I am pretty excited and looking forward to it. I am focusing my dreams of how the place will look. One problem is that I am 40 years old and single I will be turning 41 at the end of this June. I was engaged to be married 5 years ago but the break up was a major heart break as well. It took some time to recover. One thing is that I sold my other home last summer and moved with my folks over the fall and winter to help them out around the house. Plus I wanted to take a break from moving because moving is not that much fun. I have dated on and off over the last few years but because of the breakup it was just hard. I am like I said more into the ideas of decorating my home. Plus with me living at home temporarily I didn't want to date because of the fact that I am living with my folks and some women will not like that. Should I hold off dating until after I close on my home? I want to have a family and be a wonderful husband to a wonderful woman. With me turning 41 this coming summer am I too late for marriage and a family? I am wanting to be decorative for my new home. So should I wait to date someone after I close on my new home? I close at the end of September. Please help,with your suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I wouldn't hold off dating necessarily, but I also wouldn't just start dating because you want someone to help you decorate your house.

I mean, I understand your feelings. Building a house brings out all kinds of domestic feelings, and it's natural to want to share that with someone.

But you just aren't in that place yet.

There's no need for you to artificially hold off on dating until some time when your house is "done." But it's a very tricky situation. On the one hand, you don't want to tie the house to any woman you might be dating by including her in the decor process before you're REALLY serious, and you also don't want to look like you have a blank slate house ready for some random woman to fill in the blank.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I wouldn't hold off dating necessarily, but I also wouldn't just start dating because you want someone to help you decorate your house.

I mean, I understand your feelings. Building a house brings out all kinds of domestic feelings, and it's natural to want to share that with someone.

There's no need for you to artificially hold off on dating until some time when your house is "done." But it's a very tricky situation. On the one hand, you don't want to tie the house to any woman you might be dating by including her in the decor process before you're REALLY serious, and you also don't want to look like you have a blank slate house ready for some random woman to fill in the blank.
This is good advice.

In this circumstance, I don't think most people would mind about you living with your folks since it is obviously temporary.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:01 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Remember, Alex Trebek didn't live with his mother, his mother lived with him.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Why are you assuming that I am wanting a woman to just help me with a new house?????? Why are you thinking I am just wanting a woman because I am building a new house?????? I want a woman to like me for who I am ....

Old 04-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdellsys View Post
Why are you assuming that I am wanting a woman to just help me with a new house?????? Why are you thinking I am just wanting a woman because I am building a new house?????? I want a woman to like me for who I am ....
Dude, calm down.

I didn't say you wanted a woman JUST to decorate. I said it shouldn't be a factor in your decision to date.

I picked up on your desire for domesticity in these statements that you wrote:

Quote:

I am focusing my dreams of how the place will look.

I am wanting to be decorative for my new home.

So should I wait to date someone after I close on my new home?

Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Dude, calm down.

I didn't say you wanted a woman JUST to decorate. I said it shouldn't be a factor in your decision to date.

I picked up on your desire for domesticity in these statements that you wrote:
No prob .

I just have a side of me that I am really excited that I will be moving into a beautiful new home this coming fall. I look forward to decorating the place with new furniture and all. But I just hope that because I am going to be 41 this summer and everyone around me has families and being in relationships. And here I don't have that. Am I passed the agree already that it is going to be hard and I am too old for someone?

Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Am I passed the agree already that it is going to be hard and I am too old for someone?
No.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Don't look at what other people are doing. Your life is your own.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
No.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Don't look at what other people are doing. Your life is your own.
That is what my parents keep telling me to not compare myself to others. But I am really excited about the house being built and can't wait to think of new decorating ideas. I just hope that I can find a nice woman who will like me for who I am even at my age of 41.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
When the time comes:

Prenuptial agreement for the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships