Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

I think it should be whatever works for the couple.

In my perfect world, I would be married to a man that encouraged me to be a housewife. But of course that is not happening so I work and do everything also. The guy I am dating took out the trash the other night, I felt like a queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,636 times
I like traditional gender roles but you can't rely on a man for anything he could leave you once you turn 40-45 etc or earlier and then you're truly stuck.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:25 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
it seems like in today's age people are going with the logic that relationships should be about caring for each other and not men being the bread winner or head provider. many young men today seem to agree with it and not want to take care of a woman financially but feel she should at least work to pay half of the rent. although many men i have spoken to say they don't mind taking care of their gf\wife (in my experience some of those men are all talk). some women also say they dont need a man to take care of them, but some women i met feel like a man should give them things/money if they care about them because according to how they were raised, that is what a man should do if he loves his gf\wife.

but what do you say ?
Equal sounds about right or at least do the best they can with what they have got , if we can both work then why not? This shouldn't really be gender specific OP .

I'm all for looking after my SO both emotionally and financially if needed as I make it known I'm there to lean on in bad times such as losing her job or she's not well enough to work for example.

Again I'm there to treat her with gifts, nights out and things like that but I won't be taken advantage off regardless of the situation, If she started to take my kindness for a weakness then that would be the end of the relationship. I'd also expect them to dump me if I were like that.

being 2016 and all I can't think of many women like you describe if honest and it's pretty much a given that a woman would want to and does contribute financially and not be the " little helpless lady "........

Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think if you are MARRIED, you should take a divide-and-conquer philosophy.

People are far too obsessed with who makes the money or how much money or what.

They have missed the whole point of family.

Next, people are going to call children worthless if they don't all get jobs once they can walk and talk bc what the hell good are they?

Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I don't want to be financially provided for by any man...But, I'd like to be taken care of...
I'm glad my wife doesn't feel the same (though I'm a woman). My kids are happier, too.

I'm an ER doc, too, and after seeing how much better my family works with one dedicated at-home parent, several other people (docs and PAs) have followed suit.
No one has regretted it.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
that's not how life works. Relationships are not 50/50 100% of the time. what matters is that you're there for each other during lifes ups and downs. it all evens out in the end anyways, if both people are in it for the long haul.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,187 times
My wife makes more then I do and I'm definitely ok with that. We both like having the extra money to invest in rentals or just travel.

Besides, most women I know don't just want to sit at home and watch T.V. all day and maybe do a little cleaning. The women I know would find that kind of life ultra boring.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:48 PM

645 posts, read 749,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
no, some girls are raised that why, as a matter of face, many women are still raised that way.

I agree I was actually brought up that way...I do work by choice but my dad and brother always told me that the man is the bread winner and the wife stays home..my dad is really old fashion and doesn't believe the woman should have to work so my mom was a stay at home mom..and he also instilled the same beliefs in my brother so his wife doesn't have to work...so yes you can be brought up to believe that's the way it has to be....

Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,449,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
that's not how life works. Relationships are not 50/50 100% of the time. what matters is that you're there for each other during lifes ups and downs. it all evens out in the end anyways, if both people are in it for the long haul.
I agree with this 1000%. For most of our years together, I've been the primary breadwinner. He raised my son for many years. Then I got laid off - he found work - he MADE work when he had to - we always did for each other and did for the family what we had to do. It didn't matter "who" was doing what - just that it got done. Through sicknesses and health, richer or poorer, good times and bad - boy are we running THAT gamut. And sometimes it was very uneven towards one side, sometimes towards the other. But being married or in a long term relationship means (to us anyway) that sometimes the other person has to ride shotgun. And so you deal. Not always with a smile on your face and a song in your heart, but you deal - with someone by your side who understands that and is dealing too.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:40 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
You're going to be a pretty unhappy and dependant individual if you feel everything you do in life needs to be shared or compromised to fit others needs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships