Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM

151 posts, read 126,784 times

Advertisements

I'll use myself as an example here, even though I don't know how normal my situation is: I have a close female friend with whom I have a totally platonic relationship. No awkward love confessions, no "that one time we got really wasted and hooked up," etc. But we do have a very strong emotional tie, are always texting each other, visit a couple times a year (as we now live very far away from each other), that sort of thing. Would this put you off dating someone you'd otherwise be interested in, or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM

888 posts, read 555,423 times
It wouldn't put me off at all. I actually believe that men who have women friends make better partners. You need to find someone secure though, otherwise a recipe for disaster. I have seen a lot of posts on here than men and women should not be friends once they have relationships, I don't buy that and I know lots of people feel the same way. Don't worry about it.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
My boyfriend has a woman friend he calls his sister from another mother. I met her and she's really nice. She actually gave him pointers to "win me over" when we first started dating! They've been friends for years and never dated so if that ship was going to sail it would have. They sometimes get together to shoot the breeze or he helps her with repairs at her house. He always tells me about it though.

I have male friends too. I don't hang out with any of them one-on-one though. We are friends through a meetup group for nerds. Lol. We go to movies as a group, the renaissance fair, etc. We also get together at my house for game nights and such. I always invite my boyfriend, but he likes that I have a life and friends outside of him.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:27 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
I have 3 sisters and get along quite well with women.

Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem with a secure woman.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
No worries mate

Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Depends totally on the people and relationships between everyone.
I can't answer yes or no becuase it's not that simple of question to answer.

Context really makes a huge difference here.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
It wouldn't put me off at all. I actually believe that men who have women friends make better partners. You need to find someone secure though, otherwise a recipe for disaster. I have seen a lot of posts on here than men and women should not be friends once they have relationships, I don't buy that and I know lots of people feel the same way. Don't worry about it.
I'm the same way. I also tend to get along better with women who get along better with men. (did that make sense?)

Old 04-20-2016, 02:08 PM

151 posts, read 126,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
My boyfriend has a woman friend he calls his sister from another mother. I met her and she's really nice. She actually gave him pointers to "win me over" when we first started dating! They've been friends for years and never dated so if that ship was going to sail it would have. They sometimes get together to shoot the breeze or he helps her with repairs at her house. He always tells me about it though.

I have male friends too. I don't hang out with any of them one-on-one though. We are friends through a meetup group for nerds. Lol. We go to movies as a group, the renaissance fair, etc. We also get together at my house for game nights and such. I always invite my boyfriend, but he likes that I have a life and friends outside of him.
Yep, it's very much that vibe. We say that we're like siblings, only closer than our actual siblings. I also think you're on the right track with your boyfriend as far as having an activity that can be just yours. Most of the happiest couples I know have that same sort of dynamic.

And thanks all for reassuring me that I'm not abnormal (at least not in this sense). I think maybe the internet has kind of warped my perception a little bit. I can honestly say I had not heard anyone use the word "banged" referring to sex in at least a decade before poking around on this forum, and I'm really not all that old.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
At first I did because she was my childhood friend but then I realized that's the smart way to date because I already know her well. Life is full of risks, I am gonna take this one.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
As the female BFF, I can definitely say it can have challenges. One thing to keep in mind, if it's just been you and your BFF for a long time, when someone new enters the picture and you start transferring the little day-to-day aspects of life to the partner (as in the natural course of things happens) and away from the friend, it's an adjustment for the friend too to no longer have that piece of their life - to no longer have their "person" (Grey's Anatomy reference) as available to them. Not everyone can just snap their fingers and break off that emotional tie that's developed over time simply because there's someone new in the picture - no matter how much they like the person and can see that they are good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships