Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
When a minor child is in the picture, you PUT YOUR DREAMS ON HOLD BECAUSE THE CHILD COMES **FIRST** .. ALWAYS AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION!!

By the way, I did not marry "old"... My fiancé is NOT old.
Quit screaming. Nobody comes between me and my husband, not even our children. Doting on children as the center of the universe can royally screw them up. Add to that your apparent attitude that Daddy is third in line behind Queen Mommy and her beloved offspring ... well, I worry for your boy. Enjoy Indiana though.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:48 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
When a minor child is in the picture, you PUT YOUR DREAMS ON HOLD BECAUSE THE CHILD COMES **FIRST** .. ALWAYS AND WITHOUT EXCEPTION!!

Methinks the fiance made a big mistake in having a child with someone who has this attitude.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Methinks the fiance made a big mistake in having a child with someone who has this attitude.

The kid is three and this fiance hasn't married her yet. My spidey sense tells me she's in for a rude awakening.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:

It sounds like you're making it about your son's education, when it's really a matter of you not wanting to move . Neither of you are working and your son is only 3; why not take an extended trip to FL and make an objective decision based on how the schools actually are (not just how they are rated), the real estate situation, as well as what you can afford, considering his pension and Social Security will probably going further down there.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Quit screaming. Nobody comes between me and my husband, not even our children. Doting on children as the center of the universe can royally screw them up. Add to that your apparent attitude that Daddy is third in line behind Queen Mommy and her beloved offspring ... well, I worry for your boy. Enjoy Indiana though.

I think we're now seeing the results of this mentality from the last several years of this "helicopter" parenting. We've got a couple of millennials in our family that seem to have an exaggerated sense of importance because of this, one I particular is especially obnoxious and entitled.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Oh my gosh, I'm so sad about all this.

The boyfriend will resent this over time. That will impact things.

The child is getting very attached, probably. What if the boyfriend bails?

The girlfriend pretty much "has to" stick with the boyfriend whether he acts "like a real man" or not at this point simply because it seems as if he's her bread and butter.

I just feel sad...I hope somehow this all works out, OP.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:

OK.

But DID you put your child first? Or did you use him to further your own cause?

I don't know the answer to those questions, understand, I'm just putting the questions out there. Is it SO NECESSARY that the 3 year old be exposed to ONLY THE VERY BEST schools? Because as far as I have seen, having 2 happy parents trumps anything a school might have to offer.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
How can you argue over something that he hasn't seen since the 1960s and you've NEVER seen.

I'm just sayin' take a trip or something before any conversations taking sides on something neither of you know anything about.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Don't mind me while I sound like an uptight, old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, but let's see how long it takes this "real man" to actually marry her.
If it's his kid he might as well. He's on the hook anyway.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
I was looking for work and my fiance Dennis brought up (and I agree) that it would be better for me and Thomas if I waited to pursue work until after he started kindergarten. It was like a huge brick was lifted off my shoulders because, although my head tells me that I want to get back in the work force, my heart wants to be home. Dennis was the one who brought it up, and he showed me just how much of a real man he was by putting us first and his aspirations at moving down to Florida dead-last. (Florida has crappy schools unless you live in the rich parts...I have done my research...and we already know about the crappy state of most Oklahoma schools). The schools in Fort Wayne in the NE part (where we live) are rated 7-10 out of 10 and receive an A rating from greatschools.org. The one I want to send Thomas to is about a mile away and rates 10/10. As long as we provide his transportation, I can send him to whatever school in town I want. I like Fort Wayne. Hate their winters, but I have really adapted to this city and their (for the most part) friendly people. But their summers are FABULOUS - usually in the 70s and low 80s and hardly no humidity. I don't mind staying here. It will be at the expense of Dennis's happiness, but he will get over it and what counts is he knows that Thomas is first. I think he came to his senses in that he realizes that once you have a kid, your dreams, i.e., him moving to Florida, will have to be put on hold either temporarily or even permanently.
1- The bold is a recipe for resentment.

2- Good parents can make just about any school system work.

3- The schools are fine in Florida.

4- Now would be a good time to make a move so you could check it out before your kid has to enroll in any school system.

5- This doesn't make him a real man. It just means he gave in to your wishes, which really aren't based on anything that holds much weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships