Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:46 PM

221 posts, read 182,897 times

Advertisements

Instead of looking at what a potential partner makes, I focus on how financially responsible she is.

Hypothetically speaking, I hold a woman who makes $25k/yr but saves a little bit each month and has minimal (if any) debt in much higher regard than a woman who makes $100k/yr but spends like a drunken sailor and approaching 6 figure debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 PM

914 posts, read 732,609 times
I don't care how much a guy earns as long as he can support himself. I think how he handles money is more important! Growing up my mum was usually in debt and I saw first hand how stressful that is. So I've learned to be good with my money and would like the same in a partner.

I'm by no means wealthy but it so happened that I have usually dated guys who made less than I did. I've only been in one relationship where my boyfriend earned more than me and he kept bragging about his money - he was almost obsessed.It wasn't attractive. He complained about "gold diggers" often which is sort of ironic as I spent more on "us" during our relationship, constantly feeling the need to prove myself to him. Anyway, my point is that whilst I recognise that money is important, it isn't everything and it certainly can't buy you happiness

Old 04-21-2016, 02:12 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,931,799 times
I don't care if she makes more or less than I do. I don't really make how much a woman makes so long as she is working, knows how to use her money, and has a steady job.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 917,743 times
No, it doesn't. If I'm with a guy then I'm with him because of a connection with one another, not because of how bloated his wallet is.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 PM

990 posts, read 2,541,513 times
My wife always made significantly more money than me.....

It was never a problem..... It was OUR money.... Not mine... Not hers...OUR.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:42 PM

967 posts, read 681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I will almost always significantly out earn any man that I date or marry...unless he is already very wealthy (via inheritance or savings) or is in the same profession as me (or something similar)..

That being said, I don't have any illusions about what he will be able to handle.

I'm a very down to earth person, I live well below my means, and never throw my salary in anyone's face...and rarely do I disclose how much I earn. Nevertheless, I've dated a few men in the past (my ex boyfriend of several years, included) who said they didn't not have a problem with my salary...but who were all very insecure about how much I earned vs. them.

It caused unnecessary strain and strife, when there honesty didn't need to be any.

So, it's an issue if someone makes it an issue. Unfortunately, all a couple needs is one person to feel insecure or to make a problem out of the income disparity for it to really create an irrevocable nail and subsequent crack, in the relationship's foundation.
I do quite well for myself and I dated a woman who was WELL into six figures. I told her when we met I would never match her dollar for dollar, nor would I try. Funny thing is, I always had more money in my pocket than her, due to continual clothes and shoes shopping/bad spending habits, supporting her family etc. Everyone loved her at the bar too because nobody ever paid for a drink when she was around. A $150 bar bill was nothing to her. She could never figure it out. I used to get grief from buddies because they thought I was "kept man" and she took care of me, which was the furthest thing from the truth.

It was never a problem and never discussed except when she had too much to drink and the occasion arose for her to throw it in my face as part of one of her little tirades. It came up at tax time too but not in an in your face kind of way. I personally don't have a problem with it either way. I would sooner have an unemployed/underemployed sweet woman, than a rich b**tch.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,316,743 times
Doesn't matter who makes more money. Once it lands into the shared checking acount....it belongs to US; not mine and her's. I never understood married people who kept money apart but I guess I'm old school.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,985,305 times
Money isn't the issue. Financial goals are...

Old 04-22-2016, 12:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Sort of. Bare minimum you need to make enough to support yourself.

The problem is, where I live, if you haven't inherited cheap housing prices due to being a long term resident or having some sort of family home to live in, you gotta make quite a bit.

I haven't had good experiences dating men where the income gap is too big in my favor. So it seems easier in my experience to date people who have similar income to me.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,184,002 times
Nope. As long as he earns an honest living, likes what he does, and lives within his means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships