Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well this is what I am not sure what to do. Some say I am being selfish, some say I am not. So I don't know if I am being fair or not.

As far as living with someone first to see if you are ready for marriage, where I live, there exists a law, that if your significant other, lives with you for over three months, they are entitled to have the property legally, if a break up would ensue. So I didn't live with her to see, because of that law.
Where exactly do you live? It must not be in the United States - and if that is the case, you are asking this question on the wrong forum.

It doesn't matter what WE think. Your relationship is between you and your girlfriend. If she thinks you are being selfish - then WE aren't going to convince her otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Yes, simple answer.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where is this?
Maybe as a tenancy of some sort? Yes, if you live somewhere for a certain amount of time you are considered a tenant and have to be given an eviction notice, but I haven't heard of anywhere that cohabitation for 3 months gives you ownership rights. If that were the case, I think a whole lot more people would do it just to get free property. See a house you like? No problem, just live with the guy or girl for 3 months and it's yours! I can't see any problems occurring with that at all...

Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Maybe as a tenancy of some sort? Yes, if you live somewhere for a certain amount of time you are considered a tenant and have to be given an eviction notice, but I haven't heard of anywhere that cohabitation for 3 months gives you ownership rights. If that were the case, I think a whole lot more people would do it just to get free property. See a house you like? No problem, just live with the guy or girl for 3 months and it's yours! I can't see any problems occurring with that at all...
Maybe the OP lives overseas somewhere. IIRC from his earlier threads, he and his previous gf were Asian. That could explain why he thinks $200K is a lot of money. Maybe he's in the developing world, where that is a lot of money.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
OP, hold off on marriage for now until she gets her finances in order. Maybe you can help her with this. Prenup or not, sounds like you two are incompatible regarding the philosophy of money. That speaks to a much deeper issue and can lead to divorce if not addressed.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Don't do it. You'll be sorry

Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
P.s buy the house first then pre-nup

Old 05-03-2016, 02:50 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, and that's what the law is there, or so I have heard from others. I will tell my gf that we should consult a lawyer about pre-nup options before getting married.

I guess I just feel like a hypocrite, cause if I tell her I will not get married unless I have a prenup, does that not mean that I am giving her an ultimatum as well, as her giving me one?

I feel like I gave the first one, before she gave hers.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Oh well that's different. Totally different.

But I don't know about others, but when I moved in with a girlfriend, we always went and moved into a place together. It seems smart to me. First, we're looking and deciding together, which is teamwork and communication. Second, but most importantly, it wouldn't be one person moving into the other person's space, but a joint space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, and that's what the law is there, or so I have heard from others. I will tell my gf that we should consult a lawyer about pre-nup options before getting married.
Please tell me not Saskatoon.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:27 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
So OP what is happening? I pop in to read the comments. OP I have a question now imagine you marry with Pre- nup and she agrees. But years later you go down financially , bankrupt , you loose house everything, what ever the belongings will be auctioned even the bed to sleep , entire family going down with the situation, then what that prenup does? Does that save your butts ? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships