Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, and that's what the law is there, or so I have heard from others. I will tell my gf that we should consult a lawyer about pre-nup options before getting married.

I guess I just feel like a hypocrite, cause if I tell her I will not get married unless I have a prenup, does that not mean that I am giving her an ultimatum as well, as her giving me one?

I feel like I gave the first one, before she gave hers.
OP: My cousin is a Lawyer there where you live. I wish I have seen where you live before.This is his words. Not mine

Prenup is combining a divorce settlements that is true. But that is not entirely permanent or concrete. Still court decisions will be different under different divorce circumstances.
It is mostly needed for domestic living together contracts where there is no Marriage license involved. That is to avoid the financial hassle if the couple split up later. But that Prenups need to be the exact true information , against the false non true Prenup owners will be pressed chargers. Still then spousal or children maintenance will be decide by the courts at the time of divorce judges will order due to your income or wives income who is paying and how much at that time. As my cousin said even you have Prenup signed still you both are liable for your each spouses expenses.

He asked me to ask you Are you planing for a divorce even before getting married if the answer yes then he said better to be single Good luck OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 8,640 times
I'm a guy in his 60's, and have been too trusting for my own good. There's alot of folks out there, both men and women that will skin you for whatever you have.....Believe me, I've been duped twice. Thank God I had assets stashed under a stump or I'd be destitute.
The shame of it is I trust no woman now, can't afford to. My advice, cover your ass, no one else will. Best of luck to you

Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestcowboy View Post
I'm a guy in his 60's, and have been too trusting for my own good. There's alot of folks out there, both men and women that will skin you for whatever you have.....Believe me, I've been duped twice. Thank God I had assets stashed under a stump or I'd be destitute.
The shame of it is I trust no woman now, can't afford to. My advice, cover your ass, no one else will. Best of luck to you
What did you do to loose two woman?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
What did you do to loose two woman?

Really. I know we only have a member's words to go on with this, but when someone starts talking about men or women in the plural, there's most likely something going on with the person. Either the person has poor judgment in partners, is ignoring red flags, or has another pattern that the person refuses to see or acknowledge.

It takes two to make OR break a marriage. No one who is divorced is blameless. No one.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Really. I know we only have a member's words to go on with this, but when someone starts talking about men or women in the plural, there's most likely something going on with the person. Either the person has poor judgment in partners, is ignoring red flags, or has another pattern that the person refuses to see or acknowledge.

It takes two to make OR break a marriage. No one who is divorced is blameless. No one.
True! I am divorced too. Well let me think what my ex can blame LOL Honestly I don't care because he is the one messed up

Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
OP: My cousin is a Lawyer there where you live. I wish I have seen where you live before.This is his words. Not mine

Prenup is combining a divorce settlements that is true. But that is not entirely permanent or concrete. Still court decisions will be different under different divorce circumstances.
It is mostly needed for domestic living together contracts where there is no Marriage license involved. That is to avoid the financial hassle if the couple split up later. But that Prenups need to be the exact true information , against the false non true Prenup owners will be pressed chargers. Still then spousal or children maintenance will be decide by the courts at the time of divorce judges will order due to your income or wives income who is paying and how much at that time. As my cousin said even you have Prenup signed still you both are liable for your each spouses expenses.

He asked me to ask you Are you planing for a divorce even before getting married if the answer yes then he said better to be single Good luck OP.
Thank you for this info. Could you ask your cousin if the OP's belief that living together with his gf for 3 months or more means the law there considers that to be like a marriage, and his wife will have the right to half his money? The OP doesn't want to live together with his gf (which would allow him to get to know her better; he's only known her for 3 or 4 months) because he thinks that provincial law says he could lose his money to his gf.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you for this info. Could you ask your cousin if the OP's belief that living together with his gf for 3 months or more means the law there considers that to be like a marriage, and his wife will have the right to half his money? The OP doesn't want to live together with his gf (which would allow him to get to know her better; he's only known her for 3 or 4 months) because he thinks that provincial law says he could lose his money to his gf.
She doesn't need to bother her cousin for free legal advice. It's all right there on the internet if the OP would bother to Google Saskatchewan and common law. 2 years living together gets you the same rights and responsibilities as legally married spouses.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
She doesn't need to bother her cousin for free legal advice. It's all right there on the internet if the OP would bother to Google Saskatchewan and common law. 2 years living together gets you the same rights and responsibilities as legally married spouses.
But why do research when a million strangers with their own emotionally clouded judgment can validate your paranoia?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:21 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, and that's what the law is there, or so I have heard from others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I'm sorry, Liberty - but obviously your Google search is not as reliable as what he has heard from others. Obviously, if she lives with him for 3 months, she will be entitled to half of everything he owns. Obviously.

Quote:
I will tell my gf that we should consult a lawyer about pre-nup options before getting married.

I guess I just feel like a hypocrite, cause if I tell her I will not get married unless I have a prenup, does that not mean that I am giving her an ultimatum as well, as her giving me one?

I feel like I gave the first one, before she gave hers.
Life is hard. When choosing a partner for the rest of your life - you want someone by your side that will make the journey easier. You want someone that you can argue with, cry with, compromise with, laugh with, and navigate life's ups and downs. If you two can't agree on this, perhaps you just aren't right for each other. You won't marry her with out a prenup, she won't marry you with one. Maybe it's all for the best.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Life is hard. When choosing a partner for the rest of your life - you want someone by your side that will make the journey easier. You want someone that you can argue with, cry with, compromise with, laugh with, and navigate life's ups and downs. If you two can't agree on this, perhaps you just aren't right for each other. You won't marry her with out a prenup, she won't marry you with one. Maybe it's all for the best.

All the more reason this conversation is entirely premature in some respects. I can't imagine someone bringing up anything about finances unless and until we were in a solid, loving relationship for a good long time. Maybe this is because I don't date materialistic asshats, or maybe it's because a wise person is not going to throw away a chance for love with a lifelong partner over money. Most people's vows include something about "for better or for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health." What are these people going to do if this country has another world-rocking recession? Life happens. Very few people in the middle class do NOT know hardship or a tight belt at some point in their lives at this point. What then?

I'll be honest, I'm really disappointed in some of the commentary on this thread that pretty much lambasts the poor, those who don't make a lot of money, or those who have made financial mistakes. So much concern about money, money, money. It's so foreign and mercenary to me. I really doubt any of the people telling the OP to run in the other direction because she's broke would have a successful marriage if the "for worse, for poorer, in sickness" part kicked in.

Furthermore, those who truly have money don't make a whole lot of mention of it or use it as a litmus to gauge another person. They find out if the person is worthy of trust first. Otherwise, it's like those guys who drive flashy cars, toss their money around, and then wonder why every woman they meet seems like a gold-digger.

It's all so nouveau-riche and foolish. Better start sewing those dollars together, because you'll need them to keep you warm at night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships