Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Why do you say that? Unless you're a guy, you probably don't have quite the same gauge regarding social interactions with women.

I knew lots of women who were just awful in public situations when I was working on my bachelors degree. Heck, one was a future coworker who let her brother do all their speaking projects in class as she was just that mortified of speaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I'm as serious as a heart attack. Like AlfredB1979 said, there are some women who think they have good social skills, but in reality are terrible with it.
I'm sure there are just as many men in the same boat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 PM

40 posts, read 24,879 times
At least alcohol works for you. I don't even have a temporary escape from this hell. It really sucks. Men are expected to do everything in relationships. I want to be the passive one. I'm too shy to dominate.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaleslayer View Post
At least alcohol works for you. I don't even have a temporary escape from this hell. It really sucks. Men are expected to do everything in relationships. I want to be the passive one. I'm too shy to dominate.
Maybe you should find yourself a Dominatrix?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:19 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
I consider myself pretty shy and reserved, generally. Till I get to know you at least then it's on. Never stopped me with the ladies, though. I love(d) the chase.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I'm sure there are just as many men in the same boat
Of course I was one of them. I've gotten much better though.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaleslayer View Post
Then find a dom. They're in high demand, and not the most common thing around, but they are definitely out there.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:11 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Maybe it has already been said but reason why shy men won't get too far in the dating scene is because men are still expected to be the ones who take initiative to approach a woman, break the ice and start the conversation, later on ask for her number, and then ask her out. As we know, women will rarely ever do all this. Sure sure, there are exceptions but we are still far from saying women do this as much as men. So, why bother doing all the work that a man is supposed to do? Let a more outgoing guy approach and move on.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Maybe it has already been said but reason why shy men won't get too far in the dating scene is because men are still expected to be the ones who take initiative to approach a woman, break the ice and start the conversation, later on ask for her number, and then ask her out. As we know, women will rarely ever do all this. Sure sure, there are exceptions but we are still far from saying women do this as much as men. So, why bother doing all the work that a man is supposed to do? Let a more outgoing guy approach and move on.

There's some merit to what you say. The thing is though that if you really buy into that story and you're shy then you're screwed. Or not (sorry). Point being, negative emotions tend to narrow the range of options that come to mind. On line dating can be a boon to some men. Being a part of a social circle that includes women can allow you to get to know women in a less pressured context, and also to be known by women who have friends. When you've had nice conversations with Vanessa and she's seen you be a genuinely decent person to a variety of people, it's no coincidence when Vanessa's single friend Kate joins the group at the next party, event, hike, game night, etc.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I know so many shy, bumbling, socially rather inept, not very good-looking, definitely not rich men who are dating or are married.

So many.

Somebody made a move somewhere, some woman took a chance, and these men did not end up alone.

I will say most if not all (trying to think here) such men I've personally known, did have solid careers - not huge money-making careers, but stability. And that they are very much family men, overall; hence, actual (not self-proclaimed) nice guys. Just solid, nice people who were able to show love, which is deep down what many if not most women want. We want to be loved. We want to be respected. We want to be listened to.

Scout's honor.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I know so many shy, bumbling, socially rather inept, not very good-looking, definitely not rich men who are dating or are married.

So many.

Somebody made a move somewhere, some woman took a chance, and these men did not end up alone.

I will say most if not all (trying to think here) such men I've personally known, did have solid careers - not huge money-making careers, but stability. And that they are very much family men, overall; hence, actual (not self-proclaimed) nice guys. Just solid, nice people who were able to show love, which is deep down what many if not most women want. We want to be loved. We want to be respected. We want to be listened to.

Scout's honor.
I will salute to that. Sometimes, they're the best ones to be with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships