Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesticlily View Post
When you are true to who you are and make time for your passions and hobbies, you will be surprised as to who you meet.

This is only true if your hobbies and passions are somewhat social endeavors, and if then if they include a mix of genders (if you're hetero). I could engage in my passions now to the end of my life and not run into more than a handful of attractive, single women in my age range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:39 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is only true if your hobbies and passions are somewhat social endeavors, and if then if they include a mix of genders (if you're hetero). I could engage in my passions now to the end of my life and not run into more than a handful of attractive, single women in my age range.
Absolutely.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Lol it's all irrelevant in my book...
I never liked bars- they're just tacky meat markets....
I also never did online dating-
It's a freak show.

My only method is actually meeting people IRL....
Letting serendipity work for me

Old 05-05-2016, 10:34 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
This.

I've done the activities and getting out just to do something fun and meet people. Meetup groups for movie-goers (mostly men, married, retired or too young), photographers (mostly older, retired people), book clubs (mostly women), and atheist/agnostic groups (mostly retired and couples), and a few niche groups that attracted a lot of young, college-aged men, or men I just wasn't interested in. Just because we have a few shared interests doesn't mean we're compatible, ya know? And chemistry alone doesn't always make for compatibility.

So, yeah, such hobbies and activities as a way to hopefully meet a match only works if these hobbies and activities attract the kind of people that could be a possible match. In my experience, the things that interest me, attract people who fall outside of this criteria: married, much older/retired, too young, or women.

Whereas online, there was no shortage of my type, and I had a more efficient and effective way to screen for potential matches. X guy likes this, this and that? Cool. But does he meet other necessary criteria. I can hit it off with a random guy at a meetup group and think he's cool and we have similar interests and chemistry, but none of that means anything for long term compatibility without knowing the nitty-gritty. Butterflies, smiles and inviting eyes are fun, but none of that will win me over or sustain my interest if we're not actually compatible.

That was my thinking and M.O., and it worked fabulously for me.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are tons, because people no longer get married in or right after college, like they used to. Not as a mass phenom. In much of the US, that's regarded as marrying too young, now. Also, if you take into account second marriages, obviously all of those, or all but maybe 1%, would be in venues not college-related, because they're later in life.
Actually, if I remember that site I link to on occasion that gives us the demo breakdown by age group, about 25% of women are married by age ~21. I've known quite a few that got hitched before they were old enough to have a bachelors degree. Is there a chasm? Sure, but someone is balancing out all those late 30-somethings living in New England using OLD that are waiting things out.

Gals: Do single young girls exist? Not according to math! Fact: around 1/3 of 20-24 year old women are married. Only 70% are single!

Guys: Again, fact: Only 1/5 of men are married by age 24. 80% single! Like suburban deer, there are too many of you in relation to your prey, and you're destroying each others' game. Older, wiser deer who don't spend their time doing kegstands are snapping up your lady-foliage.

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

Heck, my parents married at 18 and were high schools sweethearts, so no doubt that still happens. Especially in small town USA. Not sure what's holding up the northeast. Snow? Grad school in gender studies at a tune of $200k of loan debt? In that case, those are women who are probably not cut out for adding to the gene pool, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

I find it interesting though the number of decent, in-shape looking men that are partnered with a women that was divorced, overweight, with children though. Just an observation.
The thirst is real.

Quote:
True. 20s-30s single women don't generally like to skydive, go to a shooting range, hit up sporting events or volunteer from what I have seen in the groups I am in. My volunteer groups are quite literally retired folks. Now, if there are some eligible bachelorette (grand?)daughters they are holding out from me, I'm all ears to a point. Church moms used to all but try and force their daughters on me. There was that in a past lifetime.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
I have no success with online dating. I mostly get spammers sending me links to p0rn sites. No thanks.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:09 AM

733 posts, read 603,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
Ha- I guess it's a matter of perspective. A lot of men in Portland say they never meet women at events. As for myself and a good number of my friends, in the summer we're often out on fairly long hikes which obviously isn't a great place to meet women.
I was at a bar with some friends the other night and a guy I'd never met before went on an incredible tirade (20 minutes+++) about how the only interesting people you ever meet in Portland are men. Obviously I don't agree with that, but it seems that both men and women 30+ find the dating situation frustrating.
Women do not like hiking that much, I never expect to meet women on long hikes.

A few years ago, I went to a painting class with a girl. To my surprise, there were a lot of women in the class. Maybe that's a decent place to meet women.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Women do not like hiking that much, I never expect to meet women on long hikes.

A few years ago, I went to a painting class with a girl. To my surprise, there were a lot of women in the class. Maybe that's a decent place to meet women.
LOL! I walk daily, do "actual hikes" at least once per weekend for the joy of it and am on my way out the door to one with my family right now.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:45 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
In the old days if an adult woman became single then she would have to get out into the social scene to meet a guy. Nowadays, as a guy, there are no social scenes for finding single women, because women can just create an online dating profile and boom -- dozens of dates lined up.

The problem is that if you're a guy who isn't 6'0" in height and doesn't make a good income, you are cut out of the online dating scene and have nowhere to find women. Bars are sausagefests. If you find anywhere that does have single women, they won't be interested in, and don't know how to, flirt with men in real life, because online dating is where they invest their energy.
Stay away from online dating.

Online dating is basically a bunch of unattractive women with incredibly high standards with LOTS and LOTS of dudes. It's basically just a tool to inflate the female ego......lol

If you're still not cared, then I suggest you try one of the pay sites. The free sites are more for entertainment or hooking up with fat chicks.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships