Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Feb 13 - Hong Kong debuts in the ancient Finnish tradition of wife-carrying ahead of Valentine's Day.

In the run up to Valentine's Day, Hong Kong holds its first wife-carrying championship, a tradition originating in 19th century Finland when bandits stole women from neighbouring villages.

Wife-carrying Valentine contest | Video | Reuters.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,752 times
Hysterical. I love the idea. Here is something about that tradition that I wrote awhile back.....

Thursday, May 5th

I'm Moving To Finland

...let's see, what is the world wide web bringing me today? How about Finnish Wife Carrying Championships?

Apparently in Finland, a bazillion years ago, courtship between couples involved a man running into a village, grabbing the woman of his dreams, and just as quickly, retreating with her over her shoulders like a sack of potatoes.

I love tradition and anyone that knows me really well, know that I aspire to be carried. Unfortunately, I probably would have only qualified in 2000 through 2002...and even then I would have had to borrow a husband.

Can you imagine the training involved? The coarse they race on is similar to a steeple chase, complete with hurdles and water obstacles. Poo-poo to any woman that would find training to be tiresome. I suppose there would be some annoying preparation...like shaving your legs, or searching for the right sports bra...after all, you are basically upside down.

I'm considering calling the Lion's Club to see if they would include wife carrying in the next Fall Festival. In Finland the prize is your wife's weight in beer...I suppose in Zionsville that would please, but on second thought, maybe your wife's weight in golf balls or mulch would produce a better turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships