Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:39 PM

73 posts, read 84,735 times

Advertisements

I have an issue with falling for the wrong type of girls. Generally the type is as follows:

- Either career driven w/ no time for a relationship or very active socially w/ no time for a relationship
- Highly attractive w/ emphasis on superficial stuff like outward appearance
- Manipulative
- Very active on facebook/social media(somewhat narcissistic)

----------

I've been dating pretty actively for the past 4 years and it seems this is the type i keep getting either falling for, seriously dating, or getting in a relationship with. I was starting to think the problem was women, but I've realized it's me. I don't seem give the girls who don't fall into these categories a chance b/c they strike me as boring/not sexual/etc... I know that's a stupid assumption, but I'm just realizing this... Anyone else made these same mistakes and figure it out/corrected themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
I spent far too many years getting involved with the wrong types of guys. Therapy is very successful for those who recognize there's a problem and are willing to do the work to change. I know this from experience.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie4me View Post
I have an issue with falling for the wrong type of girls. Generally the type is as follows:

- Either career driven w/ no time for a relationship or very active socially w/ no time for a relationship
- Manipulative

----------

I've been dating pretty actively for the past 4 years and it seems this is the type i keep getting either falling for, seriously dating, or getting in a relationship with. I was starting to think the problem was women, but I've realized it's me. I don't seem give the girls who don't fall into these categories a chance b/c they strike me as boring/not sexual/etc... I know that's a stupid assumption, but I'm just realizing this... Anyone else made these same mistakes and figure it out/corrected themselves?
Honestly, you can't always help who you're attracted to either. There's a reason why you're committing to these women and not the ones that you describe as potentially boring. I'm in the same boat. There's been women in my life that would treat me like a king, but for one reason or another I just wasn't attracted to them and/or just never felt any chemistry for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the types you deem boring are the same types that are being recommended to you to date. It's easy to recommend someone to your friend, when you're already happy in your own relationship. I don't care what anyone says, I have to be attracted to the person or it's just going to be a no go. That's something I just can't force either. I've tried it and all I do is look for faults and reasons to not date them. The reason is, because I'm just not attracted to them.

There's nothing wrong with dating a woman who's not as socially connected, but one thing still remains, are you attracted to her?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 PM

458 posts, read 329,032 times
Just curious...what is your personality like? Background info please.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
Just curious...what is your personality like? Background info please.
Here is another thread by the OP that might give some insights.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-confused.html

Old 05-03-2016, 07:45 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
For some people (not necessarily the OP), it's a self esteem issue. Some people are only attracted to people who don't value them and/or treat them poorly because they don't truly believe that they deserve any better. I really don't like a lot of the amateur psychoanalysis that happens on this forum, but this I agree with.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 PM

308 posts, read 267,207 times
Have you considered it as just a numbers game? Whatever you consider to be attractive may very well be limited in quantity. So then it is incumbent on you to decide wether to stick to your guns and continue (against tougher odds) to find the right one, or to relax your "checklist" in order to be able to cast a wider net than the one you've been using in your pursuit of a lasting relationship.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
For some people (not necessarily the OP), it's a self esteem issue. Some people are only attracted to people who don't value them and/or treat them poorly because they don't truly believe that they deserve any better. I really don't like a lot of the amateur psychoanalysis that happens on this forum, but this I agree with.
There's some truth to this. Setting healthy boundaries for yourself is very important, even if setting those boundaries means you're a little lonely.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
The girls you are attracted to are not serious, long-term relationship material.
You do not want a serious, long-term relationship.
So you are attracting the "right" type of girls, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie4me View Post

- Manipulative

----------

Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
If youre currently single, and been in previous relationships....they all were the wrong types, Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships