Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I love my wife, and she certainly has proven to be "the one" I thought she was. I felt she was the one after we became very close best friends, before any romance entered the picture. We were certainly on the same emotional and intellectual page, giving and caring for each other, and just so much connected and well matched. When we started dating, it all was so natural from our familiarity with each other. We are just two people who have always connected very well, looked out for each others interests first, and been able to grow our great relationship.

All that said, I would say it is more important to know yourself. When you do, you will see the traits in others very clearly as to whether they are "the one" or not. Before I met my wife, there were some women I felt were the one out of lust or desire, but who really were so far from being the one it couldn't have been more obvious. I did not know myself yet... When I really knew more about myself, it became rather easy seeing who would, and even more who would not, be compatible.
Very much so. If you don't know yourself well, it's nearly impossible to assess compatibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
I guess when I knew is when I could no longer imagine my path forward in life without seeing them walking that path with me. When that happens - you are pretty sure you are hooked

Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Ahh, how things can take a turn so unexpectedly!
Just a few months back after being single and unlucky in the dating scene for 1.3 year after my last break up, I was so sure that I was going to end up alone, with cats.. I'm 26 btw and pretty much the only single one out of all my close friends group !
But then.. I connected with this guy back in Feb on a dating app (NOT the typical app like tinder, OKC, etc) and thought hmm, he's cute but I'm probably going to be turned off by him somehow or someway, lol.
Boy am I wrong ! Upon our very first meet up after almost 2 months of texting.. our very first time meeting each other, something just felt.. weird (in a good way!). Usually on first dates, especially after just communicating via texts, it's ALWAYS awkward in the beginning.. but with him, it just flowed so natural from our first Hello and (now), every time I see him, I just feel a special energy between us and I'm falling for him more and more each day. He's honestly the perfect guy I have always dreamed of (as corny as that sounds..) since I have been known as the super picky one. I didn't think this day would come !! LOL. His looks, height, personality, the way he treats me.. everything I would ask for. I'm not saying he "is the one" but when you feel something, you can't deny it and I do know he's a guy I'd want to end up with

How did you know?

I've had 3 great enduring loves. Basically, all you want to do is be with that person and think about them all the time. Whether out clubbing, on vacation, out on a date with a different person, at work, whatever. If you're not missing or thinking about that person, then, they aint the one.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I think there's a different kind of feeling when you meet someone really special. The connection is stronger. I don't believe in "the one."

I knew we were a match when I wanted to spend a lot of time with him. I'm a loner by nature and tend to not like people around me. It's been easy with him which is something new for me. It didn't take long to figure it out.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I believe in "the one" in the sense of "the one you choose."

I think we are potentially compatible with any number of people, but we electively choose to be with particular compatible ones.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I thought this, too, but in my case, I lived with a guy for five years and ended up barely knowing him (not for want of effort on my part), whereas my husband and I found and recognized a deep and solid compatability within just a few months of even knowing one another. Counterintuitive, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I chalk it up mostly to my husband being about ten million times more emotionally healthy and honest than my ex, and to my having developed my previously unhoned ability to read those sorts of things better.
I'll stick with my statement. There will always be the rare couple that meets and immediately knows that's it...and they manage fine just on that. Happy for ya. But for most of us. there needs to new lot more time spent together.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:15 PM

458 posts, read 329,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Mine is a variant on this.

I also wasn't looking, other than just looking for a casual date. Same for him. He was actually about to take a hiatus from dating. Our first date ended up being five hours of conversation at the cafe a few blocks from my house. We went to dinner the next night. Two nights later, I was getting ready to drive 500 miles to spend the holidays with my family, and called him up and asked if he wanted to come over and have some wine when I got done packing. He asked me when I'd be back in town, I said, eight days later, day before New Year's Eve. He asked me what I was doing for NYE, and I said, "Going out with you, right?" And I did. And that was that, we've been together ever since.

We met on Dec. 19.

We got engaged the following Aug. 6, just over seven months after meeting.

About a month later, Sept. 13, he was notified he'd gotten military orders we'd wanted, and we moved away together.

January 25, just over thirteen months after meeting, we were married. It was awesome.

We've got a little baby who was born a year and nine months after our wedding.

Moving that fast was characteristic of neither of us. We were 35 and 40 when we met, had both been in long-term relationships as adults, but never married. Neither of us ever was in a relationship that moved that fast. It's a big reason we knew that one another was the right one. Never before had things been just so right. It made previous relationships look like amateur hour. We both found somebody we were compatible with in ways that we'd never been compatible with anybody, before.

Is it a fairy tale? Nah. But it's really, really good.
Wow. I bet that feels really good. Love it.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I guess when I knew is when I could no longer imagine my path forward in life without seeing them walking that path with me. When that happens - you are pretty sure you are hooked
That is so beauuuu...uuuu...uuuueck! Tiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships