Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:39 PM

458 posts, read 329,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
NO.

Kids have a multiplying effect on whatever attitudes and mutual respect you possess before they come. If you have a good marriage before kids, you'll have an even stronger one. If your marriage is shaky, kids just push you over the edge.
I starting to think everything you say is pure gold! Thanks for posting!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 7,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're not making any sense (yet again.) If a couple keeps their problems in private (as they should) it has nothing to do with basing anything on fairy tales. It's not the business of anyone on the street how a marriage is conducted.
Well if they can't be upfront about it they obviously are hiding something. People just like to be hush hush and not tell the truth

Old 05-08-2016, 02:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The presence of kids in and of itself isn't correlated with a strong marriage, and it never was.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,806 times
Nothing, including kids, guarantees a marriage. Also, people were getting divorced way before texting and fb became the norm, so not sure how that's relevant?

Old 05-08-2016, 04:48 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Truth be told... kids actually contributed to our current marital problems. Not something I am willing to admit in person or in front of my children/family. But we are working on it.

Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Truth be told... kids actually contributed to our current marital problems. Not something I am willing to admit in person or in front of my children/family. But we are working on it.

You are right. Nothing in life is guaranteed even with marriage . That is why it
Is total BS when you hear people say the same crap that if you communicate that your marriage will last. You can communicate till you are blue In the face . People change along with time. You can't predict the future on anything

Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Did kids contribute, or your responses/your partner's responses to children's needs?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:04 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Having kids is probably more of a stressor to marriage than a thing that keeps people together. I'm not a big fan of staying together "for the sake of the kids" that logic can work for some people, but not in what I've observed in life.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscherde View Post
Well it seems many couples today base their marriage on fairytales. They say all is well but don't discuss their behind the door problems in public. Like I said they can stay in the marriage and be miserable but when out in public if someone asks them on the street how their marriage is they automatically put on that happy face and say that it is just peachy. They will never get detailed about the reality of their home life
The thing is, interpersonal relationships are the business of those who are actually IN them. Nobody, but nobody, particularly random people on the street, are obligated to be an open book to others not involved in their relationship, with its inner workings. How people communicate, how they problem-solve, what stressors exist in their relationships, and how they address them (all of which are things that factor into every person's relationships, with SOs and otherwise), etc. is their business.

Your take is that if people don't spill the beans to anybody who asks (or doesn't ask) on their personal experiences within the inner workings of their marriages, they are obviously lying liars in bad marriages, trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and make people think things are hunky dory.

Truth is, most, if not all, marriages have ups and downs, and times when things are great and times when there are bumps in the path, for a wide range of reasons. This is a reality of human relationships, and the take that marriages are one extreme or the other, either unicorns farting rainbows or utterly miserable is both unrealistic and bizarre.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Having kids is probably more of a stressor to marriage than a thing that keeps people together. I'm not a big fan of staying together "for the sake of the kids" that logic can work for some people, but not in what I've observed in life.
Yes it is true when you have kids. Plus it costs the couple more money. Remember the couple have an additional responsibility and that responsibility costs money. Plus you are responsible
Of their upbringing and care and everything around them. Plus you are majority under the gun with your career if you end up losing your job and you have that responsibility to take care of. What will you do ? You can't always run back to mommy and daddy to bail you out financially . If the couple thinks that way. Why in the hell did they ever get married ? So having kids is not always happy happy joy joy. It takes a ton of work. People getting married these days want the easy way out. They want stupid expensive toys and other crap.

5"that proves how people are so selfish these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships