Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 06:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeNSoCal View Post
It's just a luck of the draw. Some people are just really unlucky at various things. Sometimes people get blown up by a landmine leftover from WW2, or a coconut falls from a tree and kills them; bad luck. The same thing applies to dating.
Luck may enter into it to an extent, but no, I do not believe this analogy holds. In dating, there's always something you can DO, whether you're a man or a woman. You can take up interests. You can dress better, get a cute haircut, make sure you're clean and nice. You can engage people more. You can be funnier. You can lose weight. You can go to the places where you anticipate lots of people of the opposite sex are. You can try to change your mindset to be less standoffish (or putting the opposite sex off less) and be more open and fun and easy to be around. You can be interested at parties, engaging, engaged, you can go up and meet people (yes, women have to do this too, sigh, so let's not go there). None of those things have anything to do with luck!

There are loads and loads and loads of things you can actively do to get a date that you can't do in order to sidestep a buried grenade (or any other entirely "luck" circumstance).

Old 05-11-2016, 06:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Now you're just being an ass. Or maybe you should re-read what Diss wrote and re-read your response to him.

Done. And once again, nothing I said implied in any such way the next person, or the next ten people, or twenty one approaches will be interested. Nothing.

My response wasn't cryptic. His attitude is *** blocking himself, plain and simple.

Now sorry, I have to go out, doors open at 9.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:47 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Luck may enter into it to an extent, but no, I do not believe this analogy holds. In dating, there's always something you can DO, whether you're a man or a woman. You can take up interests. You can dress better, get a cute haircut, make sure you're clean and nice. You can engage people more. You can be funnier. You can lose weight. You can go to the places where you anticipate lots of people of the opposite sex are. You can try to change your mindset to be less standoffish (or putting the opposite sex off less) and be more open and fun and easy to be around. You can be interested at parties, engaging, engaged, you can go up and meet people, (yes, women have to do this too, sigh, so let's not go there). None of those things have anything to do with luck!

There are loads and loads and loads of things you can actively do to get a date that you can't do in order to sidestep a buried grenade (or any other entirely "luck" circumstance).
And even if you do all that, that's still no guarantee of anything. I think that was the point he was trying to make, but I could be wrong.

There's definitely a lot of luck involved to get mutual attraction/interest, at least in my opinion and experience.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Luck may enter into it to an extent, but no, I do not believe this analogy holds. In dating, there's always something you can DO, whether you're a man or a woman. You can take up interests. You can dress better, get a cute haircut, make sure you're clean and nice. You can engage people more. You can be funnier. You can lose weight. You can go to the places where you anticipate lots of people of the opposite sex are. You can try to change your mindset to be less standoffish (or putting the opposite sex off less) and be more open and fun and easy to be around. You can be interested at parties, engaging, engaged, you can go up and meet people, (yes, women have to do this too, sigh, so let's not go there). None of those things have anything to do with luck!

And having a positive attitude, liking yourself and your life, being fun to be around, are chief among them.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And even if you do all that, that's still no guarantee of anything. I think that was the point he was trying to make, but I could be wrong.

There's definitely a lot of luck involved to get mutual attraction/interest, at least in my opinion and experience.

Nope!

Sure isn't.

Not for women, not for men.

One's odds do increase considerably though, v. sitting around in one's basement moping about how one wishes feminism had never happened to ruin the perfect 50s and then playing Tour of Duty for a few days with lots of Mountain Dew and no sleep breaks. Correct?

Of course there are no guarantees, who on earth said there were? When are there ever? In anything? You're talking about human beings here, not computers whose buttons you push in a correct sequence in order to get a result.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed.

Look around you. See all the very, very average men walking hand-in-hand with women. Look within your own family. Note all the very average guys who are married. And there you go.

In order to truly believe, deep in your heart, that one must be rich and incredibly handsome as well as oozing with charisma in order to be hooked up, you'd have to lock yourself in your basement with a lot of romance novels. No internet allowed, on the internet you'll see tons and tons and tons of average men hooked up as well. So, romance novels, Doritos and Mountain Dew it is.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone WITH EYES to maintain this belief that women will "only" get together with amaaaaaaaaaaaazing, almost superhero-esque guys. Just impossible. Yet, when one wants to swipe at sour grapes, one manages it. It boggles the mind.
They don't believe that. They know they could probably get *a* woman. They're just complaining that they can't get *the* women who they really want.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
They don't believe that. They know they could probably get *a* woman. They're just complaining that they can't get *the* women who they really want.
Or the only women who want us are women no one wants.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm sure someone wants them...maybe just not anyone who they want.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Luck may enter into it to an extent, but no, I do not believe this analogy holds. In dating, there's always something you can DO, whether you're a man or a woman. You can take up interests. You can dress better, get a cute haircut, make sure you're clean and nice. You can engage people more. You can be funnier. You can lose weight. You can go to the places where you anticipate lots of people of the opposite sex are. You can try to change your mindset to be less standoffish (or putting the opposite sex off less) and be more open and fun and easy to be around. You can be interested at parties, engaging, engaged, you can go up and meet people (yes, women have to do this too, sigh, so let's not go there). None of those things have anything to do with luck!

So essentially change who you are. So much for be yourself.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Do you think women feel the same way about you?

Do you think there's anything you might be able to do to change that? Change your attitude in some way, dress better, work out, be fun, be happy, look people in the eye, go to interesting places, take up a hobby to have something cool to talk about, anything at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships