Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:50 PM

13,614 posts, read 9,667,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really? Your take is that the relationship forum is only for people with broken/dysfunctional relationships and/or those who aren't IN relationships?

And that if you are in a relationship, there's no reason to be online or active on discussion forums, at all (because, presumably, people in relationships no longer have an interest in things like discussions, anymore, I guess)?
In a nutshell, yes. To misquote Tolstoy, all happy relationships are alike, but unhappy ones are unhappy in their own particular ways.

By similar reasoning, people gainfully employed in secure and rewarding jobs have no reason to be active in the "work and employment" forum. People whose investments are doing fine, who have no fear of the stock market and no gripes about interest-rates or currency-fluctuations or whatnot, have no reason to post in the "investment" forum. It is the onslaught of problems, that gives us reason for discussion.

Murders and traffic-pileups, tornadoes and bank-failures and celebrity gaffes make the news. The basic and quotidian plodding-along of settled daily life, isn't newsworthy. Conflict and tension are necessary for a novel, an opera, an epic poem. If all the world were just alright, we'd have nothing for our sagas, our art, our reason to communicate.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,357,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Sure. But again, if someone is experiencing this, they ought to take a cold hard look at why. The answer is not "because women are mean".
This. And definitely don't do this:

Janese Jackson Talton, Pittsburgh woman, shot dead after rejecting man's advances at bar, documents say - CBS News

Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,648,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In a nutshell, yes. To misquote Tolstoy, all happy relationships are alike, but unhappy ones are unhappy in their own particular ways.

By similar reasoning, people gainfully employed in secure and rewarding jobs have no reason to be active in the "work and employment" forum. People whose investments are doing fine, who have no fear of the stock market and no gripes about interest-rates or currency-fluctuations or whatnot, have no reason to post in the "investment" forum. It is the onslaught of problems, that gives us reason for discussion.

Murders and traffic-pileups, tornadoes and bank-failures and celebrity gaffes make the news. The basic and quotidian plodding-along of settled daily life, isn't newsworthy. Conflict and tension are necessary for a novel, an opera, an epic poem. If all the world were just alright, we'd have nothing for our sagas, our art, our reason to communicate.
When people ask for advice, their only hope is to ask other people who have failed at the same thing?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:13 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,781,327 times
Quote:

I don't get this post. If I'm struggling with something, why would I ask ask others who are struggling as well instead of seeking those who have been successful?

Applying your logic, the person to ask for financial advice is the one who just filed for bankruptcy. They might have some advice on what NOT to do, but little to offer on what to do.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:18 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,851,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I cannot agree with that. Someone who shares mean thoughts with someone isn't a coward. They are mean without regard to the others feelings. Regard for another's feelings is more important than being a courageous jerk. mean?
Agreed. Co-worker backed into my new car while it was parked and she was texting. I said I can't believe you did that....

I told my friend that dumb sl** I cant stand at work ruined my day.

I didn't feel like saying it to her face, and i don't feel like a coward.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,814,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't get this post. If I'm struggling with something, why would I ask ask others who are struggling as well instead of seeking those who have been successful?

Applying your logic, the person to ask for financial advice is the one who just filed for bankruptcy. They might have some advice on what NOT to do, but little to offer on what to do.
Yep. Makes NO sense.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,949,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really? Your take is that the relationship forum is only for people with broken/dysfunctional relationships and/or those who aren't IN relationships?

And that if you are in a relationship, there's no reason to be online or active on discussion forums, at all (because, presumably, people in relationships no longer have an interest in things like discussions, anymore, I guess)?
Quote:

So which is it for you - are you in a broken/dysfunctional relationship, or are you just not in a relationship right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.