Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,662 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a bit of a delicate situation with my hubby. We met four years ago and we've been married a little over two years (!) and are now talking about starting a family (!). I'll call him Dave but that's obviously not his real name.

Dave and I met at a time when I had almost lost hope that I'd meet the right guy. Well I met Dave and he swept me off my feet. When we got intimate I found out that he was the most caring and patient (and good!) guy in the world. Anyway, his romantic life before me was (very) limited as I found out when we talked about our relationships in the past. So when I told him about my past I mentioned the real boyfriends I've had and left out details of the not-so-real boyfriends. I didn't want to hurt his feelings that I was more experienced.

We have a pretty large social circle. I've actually helped Dave come out of his shell a lot. We're always invited to parties and we do our share of hosting as well. He has recently become I guess pretty good friends with a guy. This is a guy from a while ago and falls under the not-so-real boyfriends I had before meeting Dave. Anyway Dave doesn't know anything about that guy and me. That guy comes around to our house once in a while and it feels weird to me that Dave and he have become friends.

Do I have any need / moral obligation / whatever the term is, to tell Dave about that guy? The other guy hasn't said anything but what if he accidentally says something? So not really earth shattering but I'd like some suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaLuv View Post

Do I have any need / moral obligation / whatever the term is, to tell Dave about that guy?
Yes.

What is a "not so real boyfriend"??? Casual sex?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Yes.

Although your husband may like your ex, he may find it awkward to be friends with him since he's been intimate with you, especially since he comes to the house periodically.Your husband has a right to decide whether or not he wants to be friends with one of your ex-lovers. You must let him know asap.

Last edited by Sage 80; 05-13-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Depends if your man will do a can of whoop azz.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I feel, if you're married, you should be forthcoming and honest with your spouse; with just about everything that could affect the marriage.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
NO!

Keep mum about your past. You have no right to tell your husband and he has no right to know. If you are in one of those marriages where you both had to tell everything, that may be different. But most marriages are not like that.
Listen to Eddy Arnold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreLpKcV9c0

Old 05-13-2016, 09:48 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
If I were in your shoes, I'm more inclined to leave the past in the past. You are married now and that's all that matters. If it comes up, then.. don't try to hide it.... just be transparent. Bringing it up out of no where is bringing the past forward and shows that he (and your time together) is on your mind.

Then again, only you can gauge the pro/cons and your husband's way of handling this type of news and his expectations in your relationship.

I'm pulling from personal experience. I have a long past.. I am my wife's first and only. With the exception of my previous GF (they know each other), she knows no other details and she has no real interest in knowing.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Awkward!

Old 05-13-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes.

What is a "not so real boyfriend"??? Casual sex?

Pretty much yup. Dave has the impression that I wasn't into casual stuff.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Yes.

Although your husband may like your ex, he may find it awkward to be friends with him since he's been intimate with you, especially since he comes to the house periodically.Your husband has a right to decide whether or not he wants to be friends with one of your ex-lovers. You must let him know asap.

Well this is what I'm afraid of. Dave will feel awkward and might get bent out of shape. Actually, it surprising that the two have become buddies in the first place because their personalities are so different. Dave is an introvert while the guy is mr extravert. Dave has told me how the guy tells him stories about his travels (his job used to involve a lot of travel) and his adventures and all the ladies he's dated so I guess Dave is intrigued or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships