Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM

281 posts, read 247,367 times

Advertisements

So, if you could help me think it through, that would be great. A friend is asking for my advice. I feel .....weird about a situation, but I am not sure how to explain it to him. He feels weird about it too, but not sure where the problem lies.

So my friend, the guy, he is eyeing a girl in our group. She is in her mid-30s, pretty nice. The problem? She always bring her mother to our functions. Her mom is in her 60s, doesn't have friends of her own, so she always tag a long with us. All of us are from our late 20s to late 30s.

I feel weird. I am sure a few times are okay, and we are cool about it. However, I am a bit uncomfortable when there is a person the age of my parents sitting there, joining in some childish conversation. I am fine with it when this is not a regular thing, but it is quite a regular thing. Before she brings her mom out, she said that she wants to introduce her mom gradually to us, so we'll be comfortable with her mom being there. I felt strange about it, but unsure about what. It might be that I feel manipulative, like she is training someone to feel okay to a certain stimuli. And we are not the only group she brings her mom to. She brings her mom around to her friends all the time. And her mom is involved in the childish gibberish. While it is partly okay for me, some of the comments that her mom made, made me feel .....uncomfortable, because I have not heard of it from an adult the age of my parents before.

We are thinking both positively and negatively. So the positives are: she is caring toward her mom, a dedicated and good daughter, a family oriented woman. These things are important to him. The only negative thing is , her mom is pretty much in her life, so the question is, is he okay with that? And he said he isn't sure.

So is this a good thing that this girl is so involved with her mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
What group?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
What group?

group of friends......we usually hang out together

Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat85 View Post
So, if you could help me think it through, that would be great. A friend is asking for my advice. I feel .....weird about a situation, but I am not sure how to explain it to him. He feels weird about it too, but not sure where the problem lies.

So my friend, the guy, he is eyeing a girl in our group. She is in her mid-30s, pretty nice. The problem? She always bring her mother to our functions. Her mom is in her 60s, doesn't have friends of her own, so she always tag a long with us. All of us are from our late 20s to late 30s.

I feel weird. I am sure a few times are okay, and we are cool about it. However, I am a bit uncomfortable when there is a person the age of my parents sitting there, joining in some childish conversation. I am fine with it when this is not a regular thing, but it is quite a regular thing. Before she brings her mom out, she said that she wants to introduce her mom gradually to us, so we'll be comfortable with her mom being there. I felt strange about it, but unsure about what. It might be that I feel manipulative, like she is training someone to feel okay to a certain stimuli. And we are not the only group she brings her mom to. She brings her mom around to her friends all the time. And her mom is involved in the childish gibberish. While it is partly okay for me, some of the comments that her mom made, made me feel .....uncomfortable, because I have not heard of it from an adult the age of my parents before.

We are thinking both positively and negatively. So the positives are: she is caring toward her mom, a dedicated and good daughter, a family oriented woman. These things are important to him. The only negative thing is , her mom is pretty much in her life, so the question is, is he okay with that? And he said he isn't sure.

I understand your point. It is totally weird to bring your mom and her not behaving age appropriate. But there is nothing you can do if the rest of the GROUP is okay with it.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I understand your point. It is totally weird to bring your mom and her not behaving age appropriate. But there is nothing you can do if the rest of the GROUP is okay with it.

No,.......my friend is asking me whether he should be concerned of this, because he wants to ask her out. But he is still in the .......I am not sure part.......because of this. I am not asking about what to do about this, since I am sure I can voice my opinion to them on my own if this gets too much for me.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat85 View Post

Well, how can we decide if he is okay with it? He either is or isn't

He already knows she spends a lot of time with her mom and they get along great, she probably tells her EVERYTHING ... so it is up to him if he can accept this or not. It is a personal choice he has to make for himself.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
All he can do is try it. If he asks her out and she asks if she can bring Mom along, then he'll know to run.

FTR, I think it's too much to bring her mom out with the friends EVERY time. No thank you!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
The guiding principle with this is that a mother in her 60s should be more involved with other women in her general age bracket. It is wonderful when a mother and daughter are as close as they are, but this arrangement will not hold up well over time. As far as the man is concerned, he has a good idea as to how much he will go along with her steady presence during their various get togethers. The daughter needs to set some firm new boundaries for her mother and explain the need for privacy and independence.

Imagine the horror one evening when the gang is hanging out and Momma looks at her daughter and her BF and speaks the words that everyone will dread for the remainder of their lives: "So, have the two of you been intimate yet? Tell me all about it."

Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I am struggling to figure out what topics a 30-something woman couldn't share with a 60- something woman. I mean the woman grew up in the 60s and 70s, right? Not exactly the 1930s.

I say this from the perspective of someone who has a large group of people I hang with, ranging in age from 30 to over 60. We go on trips, go to bars, see live music, etc. The only thing we all have in common is that we live in the same smallish town and came together through various permutations of mutual friends.

The age difference just doesn't seem to mean that much to Boomers and Gen Xers. You may be overthinking it.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
I like childish jiberish.

Don't dare me to ride the little horse before we leave the store...cause I will!

I wore a Captain America shirt at the new civil war movie.

So what!! If you are not comfortable around granny then tell her not to come.

As for the dude asking her out.... I think she still has her cord attached. Who wants that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships