Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM

50 posts, read 33,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
dating and living together for 2 years? Did you move in super quickly or something? That in itself sounds a bit strange. You don't mention how old you two are, and that definitely can play a role in this.
We dated for 7 months before we moved in. Yes, it's fast I understand. I am 20 now and he is 29. I understand there's an age difference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM

953 posts, read 843,067 times
There are reasons for you to be concerned. Today you are very much a part of his present world, but you may not play a prominent role in his future. Clarification is needed from him so that you can focus in on yourself and plan accordingly. Opportunity does not knock every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You mention an age difference but don't say what it is? You mention you're graduating in one year, does that mean you're about 21? Is he younger? If so, I think it's normal for him to not be planning marriage, kids, etc yet. You're not even out of college, and if he is even younger than you, I think it's perfectly normal that he doesn't have definite plans for the future yet.
No, our age difference is 9 years. I'm 20, he is 29. At his age, I don't think it's normal for him to not even want those things or have defined goals for the future.

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
He's probably in a holding pattern since he has you locked down filling in the domestic role, more or less. Not interested in dating others (since he's almost 30) but also not interested in moving FORWARD with you.

I would be concerned.

Also, he is WAY too old for you.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
There are reasons for you to be concerned. Today you are very much a part of his present world, but you may not play a prominent role in his future. Clarification is needed from him so that you can focus in on yourself and plan accordingly. Opportunity does not knock every day.
That is exactly it! I could not have said it better myself. I do think I am part of his present world and he enjoys my company. He claims that since he is living with me that proves he's serious about me, but I don't think that's exactly true. He gets a lot of benefits living with me and no commitment.

I hate that when people ask me "Oh, what are you going to do after you graduate? Are you going to move?" I answer "Depends on my boyfriend" It makes me feel like a fool, a stupid naive girl.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielander View Post
I hate that when people ask me "Oh, what are you going to do after you graduate? Are you going to move?" I answer "Depends on my boyfriend" It makes me feel like a fool, a stupid naive girl.
Because it's a stupid answer, to voluntarily allow someone to limit you like that.

He is getting benefits with no real commitment. It would be unwise for you to continue this setup.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He's probably in a holding pattern since he has you locked down filling in the domestic role, more or less. Not interested in dating others but also not interested in moving FORWARD with you.

I would be concerned.

^^^This.

Just finishing school and already tied down in a relationship with a guy who is idling. Don't sacrifice your youth for the sake of being in a relationship that doesn't fulfill you, inspire you and make you want great things out of life.

Who you are right now is not who you will be in 5 years. You're legally an adult, but brain development is generally complete around age 25 and you will (hopefully) experience a lot more growth in the next few years. I suspect you are already starting to outgrow him, from when you starting dating at 18.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He's probably in a holding pattern since he has you locked down filling in the domestic role, more or less. Not interested in dating others (since he's almost 30) but also not interested in moving FORWARD with you.

I would be concerned.

I don't think he's way too old for me. But yes, age differences can be a huge issue, I understand that. I do fill the domestic role, and maybe he know feels he doesn't have to make much effort and can keep me even without the commitment.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Ok, so he's 29.

I'm so sorry to say this, but he doesn't want a future with you. Oh, he'll happily keep dating you as long as you are willing to stick around. And I'm not saying he doesn't care about you. But if he knew he wanted a future with you, at 29, he should be ready to make that happen and he's not. You've already picked up on this given the way he phrases things all about "me, I, my" and not "us, ours, we" but I know it's hard to accept.

I'd start planning a future without him. I'm sorry.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
He sounds very immature, thats why he is with such a much younger person. And it seems like you are growing up while he is not.

I agree with Liberty - you will eventually outgrow him because you already get tired of it while he is still in lala land, living day to day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships