Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 AM

888 posts, read 555,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post

this particular subject just seems to be a hot spot. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the fact that I want to do something or learn something and have a hard time understanding (and to some degree respecting I suppose) someone that sees getting drunk, throwing up and feeling like crap as the highlight of their week. Even if I am fine with doing something else on my own during that time I have a hard time respecting the choice I guess.

Where is the throwing up and all that coming from? I go out dancing and drinking, but I haven't thrown up from alcohol since I was maybe early 20's. But you wouldn't approve of me as a girlfriend. Fair enough. But don't you think you probably have some traits or hobbies people find annoying/wouldn't understand? Everyone does. I guess you either accept someone, or you don't. Your choice, but at some point you may want to ease up a bit. Someone maybe have some other great qualities that you could be missing out on because of your disapproval of one aspect of their life. And I am not talking about someone who goes out clubbing every weekend, not at all, but if someone does every few months, would it really matter that much? Lots of people have differences and things they don't do with their partner, for sure in my marriage there is, but they aren't deal breakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Holy assumptions Batgirl! Stuck up....maybe a little. Extreme rules and expectations....not so much. I think it's interesting though that the connotations behind the word "rules and expectations" is that I'm a judgmental jerk, but I'm not the one making some huge assumptions here.

Batgirl? I like it ..

If it would be once a month, I would get it.

But if drinking TWICE a year is a deal breaker, that tells me that you are VERY intolerant. Usually, people are not only like that about one particular thing - they are extreme in other areas, too.

You must be very attractive or wealthy to be able to afford such a high standard.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
What's with the "should"? Is there a rulebook somewhere that I've missed?
Should - yes - if he doesn't want to end up old and lonely.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Should - yes - if he doesn't want to end up old and lonely.
Nah. He just needs to be with a gal who has the same views on this as he does-- they are out there.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Nah. He just needs to be with a gal who has the same views on this as he does-- they are out there.
Apparently not where he is

Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
If you have a zero-tolerance policy for drinking and getting drunk then date accordingly. It's important to find someone who shares the same values, whether it's drinking and smoking, religious or political views, child raising philosophies, etc. In the beginning phases of any relationship we are often willing to overlook minor imperfections or even a few glaring ones, but as time goes on they become bigger issues.

Sounds like you should limit your dating to women who don't drink, of which there are plenty out there.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM

264 posts, read 183,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Batgirl? I like it ..

If it would be once a month, I would get it.

But if drinking TWICE a year is a deal breaker, that tells me that you are VERY intolerant. Usually, people are not only like that about one particular thing - they are extreme in other areas, too.

You must be very attractive or wealthy to be able to afford such a high standard.

I guess I have other "deal breakers" but I think most of them are pretty normal. I won't date a smoker or a drug user. I tried dating a couple women that were overweight (more than a few lbs.) and I was ok with the physical appearance but I found that they couldn't keep up when it came to physical activities (hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc.) so that's a deal breaker now. I don't like tattoos, but if everything else clicked I'd probably be ok with a few. Ok here's one that might be a bit intolerant, I'd be done immediately if a woman farted in front of me or left the door open to the bathroom when defecating. I wouldn't do it to her and I expect the same courtesy.

And apparently I'm not attractive or wealthy enough to have put together a lifelong relationship That's alright. I'll keep looking and maybe there's someone that fits that mold. I enjoy meeting the people along the way so life isn't so bad.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
Like-minded women are out there, OP just needs to keep looking.

The US is a drinking culture, so the person he's looking for will be uncommon. I enjoy a drink now and then but not to the degree that satisfies my US friends and family. When I'm visiting there, I always feel pressured to drink a lot. When I refuse, I can count on being lectured about how I "only live once" and to "loosen up" and "live a little". It's obnoxious.

I have started telling a lie that I am "allergic" just to get them to back off. But really, what they don't know is that I am a mean drunk. Not proud of this, it's just what happens. It brings out the dark side of me. So I really wish they would leave me alone and allow me to remain sober and friendly.

I think the OP has every right to find someone who shares his lifestyle and his views on alcohol. It might take longer but I'm sure there are still a few women out there for him.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Out of pure curiosity mate.......

How does drink effect your allergies?

Thank you
A lot of Asians are allergic to alcohol, they turn very red and flushed and don't feel good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
They can never fart in front of you?! Ever? Not even by mistake?

"Anal-retentive man seeks anal-retentive female"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships