Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Or maybe, you guys in that "camp" probably have unattractive siblings/parents?
No it's just weird, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
Or maybe, you guys in that "camp" probably have unattractive siblings/parents?
Yeah right! Keep telling yourself that! Lol

Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Sounds like some people either have hideous looking sibs or family members or.. Perhaps they are associating dating someone who looks like a family member with " incest"?
Exactly my thought. The strong reactions similar to "ISH!" are comical It's almost as if the OP has asked if they are liking the idea of getting naked with dad...

Incest is so taboo that some will not consider what else this question could mean. There have been studies (I posted a link earlier to cite) that show most people are attracted to what is familiar looking. That's not really gross or icky, it's just slightly more logical that you are drawn to what you have seen the most, maybe the most comfortable or happiest earlier memories of.

It's not uncommon to see blondes with blondes, darker complected with darker...they aren't feeling incestuous, just that's what they're attracted to. Not all people.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Why do I always hear that women are attracted to guys who look like their father and men are attracted to women who look like their mother? Is there a truth to that? Do people always go for a "familiar look"?

My sister has brazenly told me that she finds men who like me the most attractive. It's flattering, but at the same time, disquieting.
I have never heard that.

[and even if I did - NO]

Old 05-28-2016, 06:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I think a lot of people on here have trouble with family members. Maybe THEY are the outsiders. I remember growing up and thinking my older brother is a goodlooking guy.He was very stylish and swav.Did I want to boink him? Hell no! My younger brother was very charismatic and very popular in highschool. My dad was very kind and friendly.

These are attributes I find appealing in men as well.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Back in college, my friend called me up to see what I was doing. I ask him where he was. He said school (CSU, Sacramento) on lunch break. I asked him was there any fine Asian girls near him? He was quiet for a long time, not saying anything. So I repeated the question and he said he didn't know how to respond because the two Asian girls near him looked just like his sisters. LMFAO. His sisters were fine as hell back in those days, not so much now.

I can't even think of dating a girl who looked similar to my siblings or mom. Hell, I don't even want to date a girl who look like my stepsister.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
NO.

My mom was a taller blonde with a skinny build and flat chested.

I like'm shorter darker and curvaceous.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
My dad is short, fat, bald, and obnoxious. I don't think so.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
In the vaguest sense. I like dimples. Both my dad and siblings have them.

I have and am generally attracted to people with a similar personality to my dad. He is gregarious, interested in the world around him and also stubborn. Those traits tend to also show up in people I date. I don't notice the stubbornness, probably because I have a lifetime of experience working around it.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I always thought women dated men with similar personalities as their father, not necessarily physical similarities.. If her father was the strong silent type, etc.
My dad and I are very similar in looks and personality. I wouldn't mind dating someone with a similar personality but it's not something that I intentionally seek out. And I definitely don't seek out men who look like me and my dad. lol Not looking for my twin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships