Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Normal people cam figure out signs of interest.

Back in college when I was a kid, there was a girl in the dorms who was constantly flirting with me, enough so that it wasn't in my imagination. A few friends pointed it out, too.

One evening I was in her dorm room and thought I was sensing one of those electrical moments. As I leaned in she said "Don't."

"Why not?" I asked, pausing but not withdrawing, figuring it was mere hesitation on her part.

But she put her hand against my chest and pushed me back -- gently, but less gently than I might have expected. "Because I don't really find you attractive," she told me.

I was shocked, genuinely confused. "You flirt with me all the time," I said. "That's not just my imagination."

"That's just playing around. I didn't really mean it." That's exactly what she said to me.

Normal, schmormal. People are all irregular verbs and life is a gamble. You go for it, or you don't. You win, you lose, you lose out, maybe you get slapped down. Total crapshoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Back in college when I was a kid, there was a girl in the dorms who was constantly flirting with me, enough so that it wasn't in my imagination. A few friends pointed it out, too.

One evening I was in her dorm room and thought I was sensing one of those electrical moments. As I leaned in she said "Don't."

"Why not?" I asked, pausing but not withdrawing, figuring it was mere hesitation on her part.

But she put her hand against my chest and pushed me back -- gently, but less gently than I might have expected. "Because I don't really find you attractive," she told me.

I was shocked, genuinely confused. "You flirt with me all the time," I said. "That's not just my imagination."

"That's just playing around. I didn't really mean it." That's exactly what she said to me.

Normal, schmormal. People are all irregular verbs and life is a gamble. You go for it, or you don't. You win, you lose, you lose out, maybe you get slapped down. Total crapshoot.
Sorry mate but I won't find a funnier post for the rest of the week now after that classic

😂😂😂😂

Old 06-30-2016, 02:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

Wow, that's pretty bad. What's the point, if she didn't mean it? WTF?! Just for sport, or something?
Gawd, no wonder guys are so confused and frustrated!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:04 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Wow, that's pretty bad. What's the point, if she didn't mean it? WTF?! Just for sport, or something?
Yeah I think that's what left Poor urban a bit

It's like the term " p teaser " ( p a 5 letter word rhyming with brick ) that we have here in the UK.... ^^^^ kind of moment is probably where it was derived from....

Old 06-30-2016, 04:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:

Some people flirt for the fun of it they don't actually like the person at all. Kind of a crappy thing to do tbh.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Some people flirt for the fun of it they don't actually like the person at all. Kind of a crappy thing to do tbh.
Yes, that's weird. I do not understand the point of "fake flirting" and seems that anyone doing so is odd. It seems that most people would never bother doing this since reactions to others are automatic, being genuine and not premeditated.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:

Getting the attention or reactions you desire from people isn't always becuase you "want" where it can lead you.

Some people just love the high or feeling they get from interactions they have (or get) with others. Your typical self proclaimed "natural flirts" exhibit this behavior.

Some people just don't really think about consequence until judgement is already upon them.

Last edited by rego00123; 07-01-2016 at 01:41 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Getting the attention or reactions you desire from people isn't always becuase you "want" where it can lead you.

Some people just love the high or feeling they get from interactions they have (or get) with others. Your typical self proclaimed "natural flirts" exhibit this behavior.

Some people just don't really think about consequence until judgement is already upon them.
^^^^^
This.

Fact is, way back then it really confused me. I already had a difficult enough time reading people. Obviously there were myriad factors at play.

For example, in The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini makes an observation which may appear literary on the surface but actually describes a lot of people:

"And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too."

In another thread in another time, someone stated from their point of observation [I paraphrase, of course] that the people who felt most strongly about the act of lying were, themselves, unskilled socially. Being unskilled enough that they had difficulty readily seeing the lies of others, they resented always getting caught in the webs of lies they encountered. The assertion seemed to be that people should wise up or learn to deal with the consequences.

A pro this way, a con that way. After all, one must be equal to one's times, and that LIFE happens is a fact. On the other hand a perfectly reasonable, extremely intelligent person may not lie precisely because in their purview it only stands to reason that if we all told the truth and cooperated the world would be a magnificent place indeed. Lying should be something they learn to detect, as a survival trait; but it's also distinctly against their nature to think in terms of lying.

In the same way a bully may possess all the intellectual agility of a soap dish but be well-versed in the art of the insult, having memorized a wealth of comebacks, so a child truly going places in the academic world may be entirely unequipped for such an exchange.

rego00123 has the right of it in this instance.

I wasn't scarred for life, just confused. But I learned a valuable lesson from the incident, which is that people may SAY anything. They may say they're really into you, they may say you're the most marvelous person they've ever encountered. NONE of it means they'll stick around if things get dicey or difficult.

Hell, they could even say we're not people at all, but rather highly evolved forms of bicycle. See? They could say pretty much anything.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah I think that's what left Poor urban a bit

It's like the term " p teaser " ( p a 5 letter word rhyming with brick ) that we have here in the UK.... ^^^^ kind of moment is probably where it was derived from....
There needs to be a commensurate term for the guys who do this, something besides... "you don't know who your father is."

Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
OK I've only skimmed a few pages but I have a couple of observations. One is that generally speaking women are unwilling to approach men either because of fear or because they don't feel they should have to, and women also have contempt for men who are not willing to approach them. The other observation is that this thread is the perfect illustration of why men who score a lot of women are considered studs, while women who score a lot of men are considered easy(to put it nicely).

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 07-01-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships