Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:42 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Is there a question in your post? Because if there is I'm not seeing it. I hate OLD, too many flakes and weirdos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcris View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I'm hoping most of what you say is more indicative of the younger crowd. Hopefully being (barely over) 50 lessens the chances of BS.
Congrats on your success using POF!

I think definitely people have greater success with it if they are in an older age bracket.

I'm 35 and in three different regions in the northeast it has not been good in my experience. It could just be my experience though.

So good luck in meeting people! I heard from one lady I was talking to she actually was more attracted to a guy with kids than one that didn't have any. I think she liked how her kids could relate to another's and be in a similar situation then them.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Just take your time, OP. Date, have fun, but don't try to jump into a relationship. When the right person comes along, things just click and happen naturally.

My marriage had been over for years before the divorce, too. I still needed some time to grieve the death of my marriage.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:25 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Is there a question in your post? Because if there is I'm not seeing it. I hate OLD, too many flakes and weirdos.
No. No questions. Just looking for thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

I do notice how the profiles are written and take that into account. There were a few that would make me "head for ze hills."

Old 05-22-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Just take your time, OP. Date, have fun, but don't try to jump into a relationship. When the right person comes along, things just click and happen naturally.

My marriage had been over for years before the divorce, too. I still needed some time to grieve the death of my marriage.
I told myself, "self"... lol Start off making friends first.

It's difficult to keep it reined in. Really trying to keep it cool.

I've grieved the death already, honestly.

I appreciate the comments.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcris View Post
My divorce was basically a closure. The marriage was over years ago. I was legally attached to a roommate that happened to share parenting with me. We were civil to each other, but intimacy went out the window years ago. I'm way ready to do this.

All the best OP! Take your time hope you will find the person you looking for soon.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM

414 posts, read 400,102 times
Danger ahead for you. So many people are advising you to wait, but you have - yes buts. Why ask for advice if you can't take it? Maturity is not defined as an age. You are similar in situation to a teen who wants to marry after HS graduation and has never had to fend for themselves. Why can't you get out of your current shared home, set up your own home, and learn to take care of yourself and your emotions before you invite someone to share your life? And you still have grieving to do. I would hate for you to do that at the next person's expense. You need time alone.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
Danger ahead for you. So many people are advising you to wait, but you have - yes buts. Why ask for advice if you can't take it? Maturity is not defined as an age. You are similar in situation to a teen who wants to marry after HS graduation and has never had to fend for themselves. Why can't you get out of your current shared home, set up your own home, and learn to take care of yourself and your emotions before you invite someone to share your life? And you still have grieving to do. I would hate for you to do that at the next person's expense. You need time alone.

I get what you are saying. I'm not sure how clear my original post was, but I had no intention of reaching out to others until I was in my new place. She contacted me. Yes, I could have (or should have?) said that I should wait, but I didn't. (Edit---I see a yes, but...lol! Guilty as charged)

Also, I intended to start slow, and for the most part, it's going that way. There is nothing wrong with friends. I need to remind myself of that. I honestly didn't expect the activity to start so soon.

I do believe I can take the advice, and am doing so, and appreciate yours as well, although it's coming across rather bleakly.

I'll pay attention to the "yes, buts", since you've pointed that out. Definitely not looking for arguments.

Lastly, I've had more time alone than I care to anymore.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
I agree with the others. Move out, get settled in your own space. The finality of everything, when you're completely on your own, may or may not hit you in an unexpected way. OLD will still be there in a month.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Don't expect to find a relationship with an emotionally healthy, normal woman who is attractive until you've been out of your marriage for at least a year. You are going to find that only women with pretty heavy issues are going to want to have something going with a recently divorced guy, especially one who is just now moving out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships