Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,744,449 times

Advertisements

I have seen the no contact rule being advocated in many places and I seem to agree with it. This rule emphasizes a complete cut off from all things in your past relationship - that means Facebook friendship, pictures, phone number contact, anything memorable - cards, mementos etc.

I used this in my last relationship and it worked well except my ex said by cutting her off I was cruel and that I should've kept in touch and periodically asked how she was doing and also kept her as a friend. I thought that was unreasonable as I had to move on to and the no contact helped me in my healing.

Now, on my upcoming breakup, we have discussed parting ways and she says that she absolutely cannot imagine I will cut her out of her life so abruptly and that I should continue being her friend - by phone and on FB as well. I told her this is a bad idea, I cannot move on if we are seeing each others news feed, pictures and I have no interest in seeing any new lovers that she may meet, virtually no interest in that. She disagrees and says that if I don't continue to be her friend it means she never meant anything to me in the first place and the relationship never meant anything. I don't see logic in this.

Do you believe in the no contact policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,818,710 times
If you dont want anything to do with the person, then just walk away and dont look back. Why does there need to be extended drama and rules?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,212,288 times
Each person has to do with what works best for them. With a total break up, the no contact rule works. Someone who wants to keep in contact still has feelings and wants to keep in touch, probably hoping for reconcilliation, or to keep tabs on you. Not healthy.

No contact.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,606,644 times
I think no contact is best. An exception for those who have a minor child(ren).

Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM

29,466 posts, read 22,452,148 times
I believe in clean breaks.

No FB, no chat, etc.

Anyone that wants to continue that clearly isn't over the relationship.

I keep nothing from my previous relationships. No pictures, no chats/emails, nothing.

Adios, goodbye, and good luck.

If I were dating someone, and that person continues to maintain close 'friendship' with the ex, that is a red flag to me.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,338,093 times
So you are discussing with her, whether she is ok with you going no contact? Do you need her consent?

In all my life, be it personal or professional, I never discussed with people what I was planning to do. I just planned, then executed.

Keep it clean. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,719,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
... she says that she absolutely cannot imagine I will cut her out of her life so abruptly and that I should continue being her friend - by phone and on FB as well. ... She disagrees and says that if I don't continue to be her friend it means she never meant anything to me in the first place and the relationship never meant anything.
That's just her manipulating you AGAIN.

Besides, it's too late for this break-up to be "abrupt." Y'all are dragging this out for no good reason. If there were anyone who should go "no contact," it's the two of you ... as soon as possible.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:57 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,751,710 times
It usually seems like men have an easier time with the clean break thing. I have a hard time going cold turkey so it does seem cold to abruptly cut me off like it was nothing.

But to be fair, it's not like I can be friends with my exes either. It would be nice to be on good terms with them and hear a "hi" every now and then but nothing constant. The clean break thing hurts like a b*** but it's really for the best.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,728,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
It would be nice to be on good terms with them and hear a "hi" every now and then
I wouldn't mind a "hello" or a friendly conversation with an ex once in a while but if she wants to hang, I'm leaving

Old 05-22-2016, 09:36 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,323,459 times
After a break up, I don't give a flying flip what my ex thinks of me. They all can go lick poisonous dart frog for all I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships