Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 01:47 PM

461 posts, read 556,165 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Me and my ex-girlfriend broke up late last year, she was stressed out over some serious life choices she had to make and we lived about an hour and a half apart, which is not that serious of a distance but still quite difficult for someone like me who was working and finishing up college while she was also in the same boat. I guess the distance played a role too. In the time after the break up, we both hooked up with other people, and spoke progressively less, maybe even avoiding each other. When we did speak however, we were OK. I was bitter but I didn't let it show, we were both perhaps nervous about wanting to act again on our feelings, and so on.

In April, things changed a little. She decided her next step in life required her to move much closer to me, making distance a non-issue and by default, making me think the circumstances of our break-up would be undone. We hooked up a few times this past month but recently had a discussion in which she indicated she didn't want to seriously see anyone for a while while she continued to figure things out in her personal life. She's a very nice, down-to-earth person, we had no issues sharing that we still love and care for each other, and she was very supportive when I vented about my feelings, as I tried to be when she did about hers.

In theory, I don't feel like I have any reason to be mad with her and I'm trying not to be a baby about the whole thing. She didn't lie to me and continues to be honest. She is still very supportive, can joke with me, can reminisce about the good times we had. The problem is, I'm quite bitter about the whole thing. Without going into details about her situation, I understand that life overwhelms people and makes them feel like a relationship will only tie them down and add more stress. But I do get jealous, knowing she is constantly in the area and no longer hitting me up. Maybe a ramification of the times when were doing long distance, and her being in the area meant we would always see each other. If she was not in my neck of the woods for me, she still made time for me whenever she finished doing whatever errand she had to do. Now I have to learn to deal with her being here but not for me. I have to deal with the fact that I'm not an exception, and that if no relationship is going to be less stressful for her, then that includes a relationship with me.

And like I said, I totally get it. But I get jealous tendencies about the whole thing. I certainly don't act on them, but I think sometimes it becomes a little transparent and I get a message asking if I'm OK, if there's anything I want to say, etc. I'm very civil about the whole thing, mainly because I don't want to keep beating on a dead horse but also because I do not want to add more stress on her. I am bitter it had to end, that it can't start up again right now, and that relationships aren't healthy for her right now, but I don't think it means there was too much wrongdoing on her part.

Is this natural? What are the best ways to cope with jealousy when the person you care about didn't do anything inherently wrong but you still feel bitter? How do you get over the fact that the person you care deeply about is about to start casually hooking up with others while both of you have a sense that there's still unfinished business between the two of you?

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:56 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Keep dating other women.

NO person man or woman should ever hold another 'hostage' in terms of moving on and living life.

What I mean is, one shouldn't sacrifice their self respect and put their lives on hold pining for unrequited love.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
The only way to not be jealous is to be dating other people. It's impossible to not be jealous if you're not out dating.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:24 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Have you thought about going "no contact," i.e. ceasing communications with her? Often that is the healthiest way to get over someone and move on with your life. It sounds as though maintaining contact with her is not a positive aspect of your life at this point. There is no sense in voluntarily being open to learning information that's only going to upset you.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
No contact; what you don't know wont make you jealous.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Have you thought about going "no contact," i.e. ceasing communications with her? Often that is the healthiest way to get over someone and move on with your life. It sounds as though maintaining contact with her is not a positive aspect of your life at this point. There is no sense in voluntarily being open to learning information that's only going to upset you.
I agree with this.

Sometimes it's just not possible to be in friendly contact, even when there are no obvious conflicts. You may need to tell her that for your current state of mind, you need to move on.

This is another side effect of long-distance relationships. The distance and anticipation of times together make you so much MORE excited to see each other that you tend to overlook other flaws etc.

You have also built up a type of Pavlov's dogs reflex that you will almost have to "retrain" yourself to stop feeling.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
When someone tells you that they're not ready for a relationship right now, always insert "YOU" into the equation. She's not ready for a relationship with YOU right now. If two lovebirds wanna be together, then nuthin's gonna stop 'em.

Think Romeo & Juliet.....this 'lil act has been playing for centuries.

I particularly like: "I love you but I'm not in love with you." Gotta hang on to the "I'm not in love with you" part for your own survival. Folks will keep you on the back burner for as long as you let them.

Know this:

She's a great gal, right? What's stopping another great gal to come along and give it her best shot at your attention? Your old flame hangin' around will stop the next one.....that's what.

Totally fine to be friends......later.

I wouldn't block her, but I would make myself very busy and engaged with other activities and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships