Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times

Advertisements

I think the fact that she tested positive renders moot whatever might have prevented her contracting this STD. The issue is the BFs weakass response. We don't have the full context, but I can't imagine much that would justify "get over it" as a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not really clear on how that works, eh?
I'm clear on that. She has one strain of HPV. There are many strains of HPV. The vaccine covers more than just one strain so it is still a good idea to get it.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
Being offended is a normal state for a person in today's society, but if you want to do something about it - take your boyfriend's advice.
Not when it comes to someone's health that's something to be offended by.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Being offended is a normal state for a person in today's society, but if you want to do something about it - take your boyfriend's advice.
Oh yea. The "tough guy" approach is so ...effective..to a woman going through medical stress. There are worse things the OP could have contracted, but its still serious enough for concern, and she can't just "get over it".
My lady has medical issues, and hasn't gotten any good news from the doctors in quite a while. Such situations require support and empathy, not an attitude like a football coach. The whole "shake it off you ain't hurt" thing is not an attitude for a guy to hand to his lady when the doctor hands out a diagnoses like this.

Its upsetting, to say the least, and women often have quite different reactions to such things than men. My gal has cried buckets after doctor visits. Doctors can often not be much comfort, as they are conditioned to just shoot from the hip, and can come off quite cold. So, our ladies need to turn to their men. Mine does, and I'm going to be there for her. She knows she can count on me for comfort and a sympathetic ear.

We've been through a lot together. I have my own medical issues, and I count on her for support as well. For us, that's where we get the strength to keep fighting. I think the OPs "man" would do well to consider what true strength is, and be a bit, just a bit, more supportive in helping her find the resolve to stay in the fight.

That, is how I see it.....

Last edited by NVplumber; 05-26-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Seek help, because I can't imagine you're a picnic to be around.
Are you offended? If so, I have some advice

Old 05-26-2016, 11:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Is it too late for that?
There is currently no medical treatment for persistent HPV infections that are not associated with abnormal cell changes. However, the genital warts, benign respiratory tract tumors, precancerous changes at the cervix, and cancers resulting from HPV infections can be treated.

HPV and Cancer

I would drop your non-caring insensitive bf like a hot potato.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Are you offended? If so, I have some advice
Given your previous attempt, it can't be very good.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
He's insensitive, yes, and I wouldn't put up with it in a loving relationship.

Also, stop beating yourself up. There is nothing much you can do to protect yourself from HPV except vaccine. Condoms are not fully effective as it is passed from skin to skin.

Wait, now I am wondering if he was responding to your physical condition, or your freak out over it? Please clarify. Many guys don't do well with female freak outs. They feel helpless because they can't fix it, and so their instinct is to minimize the problem and make it disappear.
I did not freak out at him at all, I was simply expressing my concern and feelings about my health status.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I haven't spoke much to him today, he said he would call me after work and I have a lot of things to say to him mainly addressing his insensitivity and how I don't deserve to be with a partner that reacts this way to my feelings. I truly hope his reaction stemmed from ignorance and that he googled HPV and did some research. Inadvertently, this does affect him and his future partners as he is now a carrier. Since he is 27, he's technically too old to get the vaccine as the age cut off is 26 according to my doctor. I'll post any updates if I have any.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Best advice in the thread.

Seriously, you can whine and complain and "be offended" but where's that gonna get you? So now you know you have it. Learn about it and how you contracted it so you can deal with it now and prevent it in the future.

The boyfriend may not be as sensitive to your needs as you want him to be but that doesn't mean he does not care. So, I agree with him. Get over it and figure out life.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ok, that's ridiculous, his insurance covers it. I know mine does as well. Our crappy healthcare system is really putting people at risk as well. As far as the anti vacciners... well, they're also a public health risk.

I actually, ignorantly, didn't know boys got the vaccine, since it is mainly a threat to female health. I asked my brother, why did you have them vaccinated? And he said matter of factly, because they'll be having sex with women and he doesn't want them to be vectors. Duh, me.
I was actually surprised/chagrined that my older son's pediatrician didn't mention the vaccine until I specifically asked for it. He said a lot of parents are still hesitant, and some actually take offense to the idea of their child needing a vaccine for an STD . Whatevs, in all likelihood I'm not going to know about his engaging in some HPV-friendly activities until after the fact, so it makes the most sense to have him protected before that happens, as it can cause cancer in males, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships