Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:21 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times

Advertisements

Just one word to the explanation: wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
My intention is to give people a chance, no matter college degree or not. Thus, I agreed to date him, and see if magic happens. I very much appreciate him, and know that what he has is hard to find, yet I never got that feeling of being head over heels in love. I think the problem with him not having gone to college is that his experiences and world view are more limited than mine, although he is curious when I try to introduce him to new ideas. I travelled more than him; met more people; ate weird foods, and have overall more liberal ideas. And I wonder if the reason for him being more of a local guy is because he never went to college, and was not exposed to a larger world.

What fascinates me about him is his loyalty, his commitment, his goodness to people and animals, his ability to be a real man, a protector and a provider. Yet, (I will be a snob and say it anyway), I feel that there isn't a lot he can teach me about the world. He can provide a lot of stability and reliability, but lacks the WOW factor. I would ideally like to feel both, with the same person. Am I doomed to be single forever because what I want is unrealistic?

PS: we've been dating for six months now. I would like to fall in love with him, because he seems like a great long term partner, but I can't make myself fall in love with him.
Yes.

Your expectations are really high.

I don't know what to say except break up with him and work on yourself.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You're actually preventing him from meeting someone who actually is romantically interested in him.

Worth repeating.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,577 times
You are very cold, snobbish, and petty. Do him a favor and break up.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM

229 posts, read 463,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The bolded is the critical information, here.

It reads like you're keeping him around for your benefit, even though you don't see a future with him. That's by definition using somebody. It's great that you like him a whole lot and appreciate him. It's unfair to carry on a pseudo-romantic relationship with somebody with whom you don't see a future, just because they're nice people with positive traits. You're actually preventing him from meeting someone who actually is romantically interested in him.

I certainly wouldn't like to make anyone's life more miserable or use anyone. What is the best way to go about it? Ask him to have a conversation in which I tell him I am not in love with him, and let him choose what he wants to do?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM

229 posts, read 463,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
You are very cold, snobbish, and petty.
I hate being this way. If you can give me suggestions about how I can change, please do. I would just like to be normal and have a family and children one day, like normal people. How do I get there, while at the same time being true to myself?

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't like to make anyone's life more miserable or use anyone. What is the best way to go about it? Ask him to have a conversation in which I tell him I am not in love with him, and let him choose what he wants to do?
If you are no longer invested in the long term for this relationship why even ask him what he wants to do? He is apparently invested. No way to sugar coat a breakup. Just sit him down and tell him.

Quote:
What's his choices?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I hate being this way. If you can give me suggestions about how I can change, please do. I would just like to be normal and have a family and children one day, like normal people. How do I get there, while at the same time being true to myself?
How old are you and why are you divorced?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Here is a simple one: college does not mean worldliness or open minded. That post you made comes across as one of the most narrow minded comments one can make. I'm not saying you are, that's just how it reads. I've no right to pass judgement but the phrasing definitely elicited some responses from the gallery.

Somebody else said it earlier: break up, change your online requirement specs to include college and whatever 'worldliness' means to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships