Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:13 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Because women know there's always another sucker willing to help her out financially.

How many female sugar babies exist to male ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is this masquerading as another 'women's' bashing thread?
Apparently someone felt it should be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:54 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbaxters View Post
My girlfriend and I are both 25, we have been dating a year and a half and lived together for 7 months now. The way we worked it out was I will pay her and my car as well as we go half on apartment rent while she pays the Internet, electric, water, her insurance and her credit card . The thing is 3 times now she has told me even months after the fact that cert bills haven't been paid. The last time it happened was this week.

I have told her if she needs help with bills to let me know and when I ask her why she didn't tell me she doesn't tell me why. Our electric has been turned off twice now. We make roughly the same but she will just casually bring up some of the bills are overdue.
Uh.. that's not good. She obviously has not learned about these responsibilities and apparently had not lived on her own before. As mentioned, you should handle this by having her supply the amount of cash necessary, but it means you are taking on more, too. After you have a system of what is due and when each month, have her sit down with you to go over it. Not that you don't know, but she needs to understand what all is involved in a mutual living arrangement. This kind of thing is what occurs as a couple begins living together.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:12 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Default Girlfriend isn't responsible with bills.

Okay, do something about it.

Coming here and complaining isn't going to fix your girlfriend's financial problems.

I think, you know exactly what should be done, so do it.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:34 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Maybe you shouldn't live together then.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 AM

531 posts, read 384,427 times
Time to find a new girl friend

Old 05-31-2016, 05:43 AM

307 posts, read 631,021 times
You should sit down with her and split up the bills again so that she is paying on her own car and you take over the utilities, just make sure it still splits evenly and she is giving you enough for her share. You should be the one sending in the payments for anything that is in your name and that she gives you the money each month for her half of the rent.

At some point she may ask you to cosign something since her credit is probably going downhill; make sure you never cosign or take legal responsibility for her payments or credit will go right down with hers.

She is still young enough to learn how to manage her finances better, but it will have to be something that she wants to do rather than something that you force her to do. If she is interested you may want to help her research using an envelope system or YNAB or some other system to help her get on track.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
My girlfriend and I are both 25, we have been dating a year and a half and lived together for 7 months now. The way we worked it out was I will pay her and my car as well as we go half on apartment rent while she pays the Internet, electric, water, her insurance and her credit card . The thing is 3 times now she has told me even months after the fact that cert bills haven't been paid. The last time it happened was this week.

I have told her if she needs help with bills to let me know and when I ask her why she didn't tell me she doesn't tell me why. Our electric has been turned off twice now. We make roughly the same but she will just casually bring up some of the bills are overdue.
Sounds like my ex wife.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:

Dude - this should never happen more than once - bills to CreditCard, creditcard to checking account - auto-debit is your friend.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Sounds like my ex wife.
Sounds like my ex husband too.
OP, dont think I would have the gf just give you $ to pay because she will most likely short you on her share and all that will just cause more strife. Perhaps trade her car payment for the utilities to make sure they aren't shut off then she can worry about her own bills.

My ex and I had a joint acct. and each contributed X$ to cover bills. He didn't deposit his full X$ and checks started bouncing. He swore his did even though I had the deposits showing otherwise. I closed the acct., I paid the mortgage and made him responsible for the utilities. That way I knew we wouldn't lose the house and he could not say he paid the utilities if he did not. If they got shut off it would all be on him. That worked for us.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sounds like my ex husband too.
OP, dont think I would have the gf just give you $ to pay because she will most likely short you on her share and all that will just cause more strife. Perhaps trade her car payment for the utilities to make sure they aren't shut off then she can worry about her own bills.

My ex and I had a joint acct. and each contributed X$ to cover bills. He didn't deposit his full X$ and checks started bouncing. He swore his did even though I had the deposits showing otherwise. I closed the acct., I paid the mortgage and made him responsible for the utilities. That way I knew we wouldn't lose the house and he could not say he paid the utilities if he did not. If they got shut off it would all be on him. That worked for us.
When the ex moved out, I started paying the mortgage on time. Paid off the balance forward. Paid the bill on forward on time in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships