Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM

828 posts, read 692,451 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

OP, have a friend take a pic of you from behind. It sounds funny, but it might work out for you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-02-2016 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: changed my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
OP, have a friend take a pic of you from behind. It sounds funny, but it might work out for you.
A+ advice

Old 06-02-2016, 12:20 PM

242 posts, read 262,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Right. Didn't read this thread critically.

You mean of my bum?

Old 06-02-2016, 12:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Then either wait until your work eases up and join some groups where you'll meet people, or else splurge and have a pro, just an inexpensive one, take a couple of good pictures of you. I may just be an matter of a better angle, better lighting, or different makeup. I was once completely frustrated that when I kept trying to get a passport photo, the usual places that did them for $5 or $10, all made me look dead. So I found one that charged $25 and ended up happy.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Damn, I thought selfies were a turn off, an actual pro photo would probably be more of one.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:39 PM

212 posts, read 195,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Online dating is NOT for everyone. Don't start jumping through hoops and paying for professional photography just to get action online. Just put more emphasis in meeting guys in real life.
Agreed. One of the many, many reasons I do not participate in online dating is that I cannot take a good picture. And by good, I simply mean a fair representation of how I actually look in real life. I don't expect perfection, but I get sufficient attention from men while just being out and about, so it is frustrating to see how squashed my nose looks and how beady the camera makes my eyes!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
You mean of my bum?
If you wear a flared skirt, they won't be able to see much about your bum. What they'll see, if you have a small waist, is the overall hourglass effect between your upper torso, waist, and lower torso. Even so, it seems like a rear shot would be an odd thing to post.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was once completely frustrated that when I kept trying to get a passport photo, the usual places that did them for $5 or $10, all made me look dead. So I found one that charged $25 and ended up happy.
My biggest problem is my smile looks frozen and unnatural in posed pictures - well, that and I have squinty eyes. I had the passport photo taker at Walgreens say something I knew would make me smile naturally (I told her what to say) and was pleased with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
There are a lot of subtle things that go into a successful photograph/portrait. hint... it has nothing to do with the camera. Behind every photo is a message to be conveyed... things the observer picks up on...
I was really surprised by how much attention a recent picture of me got with people saying how "radiant," "happy" and "confident" I got.

I didn't really think it's that great of a picture of me; it was just taken at a flattering angle. I was being silly and I had a broken toe and was grateful to be out of my dress shoes! So I was QUITE surprised about how others saw it.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
My biggest problem is my smile looks frozen and unnatural in posed pictures - well, that and I have squinty eyes. I had the passport photo taker at Walgreens say something I knew would make me smile naturally (I told her what to say) and was pleased with the results.

I was really surprised by how much attention a recent picture of me got with people saying how "radiant," "happy" and "confident" I got.

I didn't really think it's that great of a picture of me; it was just taken at a flattering angle. I was being silly and I had a broken toe and was grateful to be out of my dress shoes! So I was QUITE surprised about how others saw it.
The bolded are the most important things a good photog can deal with. He can capture a spontaneous-looking smile when he snaps the photo at just the right moment. He's already set you up to show your best side/angle, because that's what he does; that's his job and he has tons of experience with that.

Congratulations! I hope the OP takes heart from your post.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:18 PM

511 posts, read 402,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
There is no such thing as photogenic, the picture is what you actually look like. there is no magic portal where the light photons change once they go inside the camera.
Actually they do. Photos are a two-dimensional representation of three-dimensional entities. Variables like focal length, lens type, parallax, etc. can distort/exaggerate features. People want to see people in specific contexts as well, or with specific facial expressions.

My friends all tell me I'm a good looking guy and shouldn't have any trouble meeting women but I simply cannot take a picture of myself that's anything but left-swipable. It's frustrating as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships