Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 AM

458 posts, read 329,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If he marries someone he considers his best friend he will have little fear of commitment.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
I was talking to a guy friend of mine about commitment and he said that being tied down in a relationship or being in a committed relationship of any kind feels claustrophobic to him. He is a male in his late 30's that has never been married/no kids.

I assume if he found the right one, it wouldn't feel like that? Is that a rosy way to think or is that reality? How many of you lost your commitment issues once you found the right one?

He claims to be really big on fidelity and commitment, but can't do it. He's not the player type. And just to be clear, it was just a conversation. I'm not trying to date this man. I'm just fascinated by human behavior in general.
If he found the "right one", he would be OK for commitment for a while. Eventually, he would stop feeling that way and would start to feel trapped again.

People who feel the way he does generally don't understand all the effort and work it takes to maintain an intimate relationship over the long-run.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
If he found the "right one", he would be OK for commitment for a while. Eventually, he would stop feeling that way and would start to feel trapped again.

People who feel the way he does generally don't understand all the effort and work it takes to maintain an intimate relationship over the long-run.
Do you really believe that's the case for all? I think it's something you can grow into. But...I'm not a man...so

Old 06-05-2016, 10:13 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
What would scare you about being in a fully committed relationship? I know you love the ladies!
I've always had the opinion that for me to give up my freedom and ability to meet whom I like it would HAVE to be for someone super special.

Nothing scares me as such about being fully committed as its the greatest feeling in the world being in a sharing relationship with someone, a lot of men will commit too early and tell her he loves her and " appears " to be fully commited but basically hes just seeing how it pans out. I'm very sincere to a lady's feelings and couldn't really do that as its unfair.

Even though I'm completely honest about not being exclusive in the start, naturally a few have thought I have commitment issues but in reality it's me not leading them on if you see what I mean?

But again there is always a blue moon with one that comes along that you chase and crave a relationship with and makes you want to commit

Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
And if someone comes along like London and says they want to commit, maybe give it a chance.
I wouldn't and still think I was right not to but I now regret that I'll never know

Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And if someone comes along like London and says they want to commit, maybe give it a chance.
I wouldn't and still think I was right not to but I now regret that I'll never know

Thank you!

Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
I was talking to a guy friend of mine about commitment and he said that being tied down in a relationship or being in a committed relationship of any kind feels claustrophobic to him. He is a male in his late 30's that has never been married/no kids.

I assume if he found the right one, it wouldn't feel like that? Is that a rosy way to think or is that reality? How many of you lost your commitment issues once you found the right one?

He claims to be really big on fidelity and commitment, but can't do it. He's not the player type. And just to be clear, it was just a conversation. I'm not trying to date this man. I'm just fascinated by human behavior in general.

I wouldn't assume that. I would go on what he told you. Some men, and women, are not cut out for relaitionships.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2016, 11:16 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that's the case for all? I think it's something you can grow into. But...I'm not a man...so

How did that belief work out with your existing husband?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:

Me, but my issue wasn't claustrophobia - it was the examples of marriage I grew up with. I lived with the guy for eight years before I told him I was ready for marriage.

As for your friend, he may not be old enough yet. Some cultures feel that a man is not fully matured until he's between 35 and 45 years of age. At 46, you could say he's a committed bachelor, and damned lucky to have not acquired any 'baby mamas' in all that time, lol.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How did that belief work out with your existing husband?
I've read this twice today, but I honestly do not know how to answer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships