Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better for dating above your league?
Online dating 7 24.14%
Real life 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,945,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
But these women can easily find someone in person, so why are they on online dating?
Why oh why do people see online as some kind of poor cousin to real life? It's not. Performance Bicycle Store has five stores in Oregon and Washington and each store may be 5000 sq. feet and serve 75 customers a day each. Who could need more right? That might or might not be the case but by establishing a web presence PBS Inc. now has the entire world as a customer base, and can do millions of dollars a year worth of business instead of many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of business. When I went online I met women from the opposite end of the country and internationally! I had some very interesting adventures before I settled down with Ms. Blade (she didn't take my name, obviously) so I for one find OLD far superior to the limitations inherent in IRL. YMMV.

Quote:
I guess you make a good point in that it's because they can maybe find someone with both looks & money,
or just money... just saying...

Quote:
but who wants to be with a woman like that if a big part of the reason they're with you is just because you make good money?
catch the exact same woman looking for big game online, the exact same one, and you just might find a warm, caring, girl next door who will look past your beer gut if you are funny and interesting and at least gainfully employed... in fact, she might have more than one profile online each playing to a different league of guy...

Quote:
This whole dating thing just makes no sense to me.
That as may be but thats a new thread topic. Actually I agree. I've been on very few dates in my life. The women I've known would have been with me whether we went out on 'dates' or not. But what woman doesn't appreciate being asked out to dinner? But dinner (or coffee) as ruses to determine compatibility for 'dating' purposes? FAIL. Massive fail. I've rarely seen it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:11 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,511 times
All the people who don't know what this concept means are in denial or being deliberately obtuse.

Awareness of this concept can keep people on track in their search for a significant other.

I've seen people from both genders lose 2+ years of life pining over someone completely out of their league a number of times.

Perhaps a more politically correct term for league is "place in life" but it still suggests 2 people who have no hope for a romantic/sexual relationship.

I could give countless examples of people in different leagues but won't because it could hurt some feelings.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,415 times
Can not answer poll. In fact I think it is self evident that one choice would not be best for both genders.

If you are a young woman online dating is your best chance to date above your league. You can photo shop and cherry pick photos, and more importantly you will have a large statistical advantage because a lot of women do not do online dating.

If you are a man Real life is your best bet to date out of your league. Propinquity and agressiveness can sometimes result in a guy getting lucky.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,317,273 times
I vote neither because I don't use online dating (never will) and I don't approach women I know I have zero chance with.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,317,273 times
Quote:
But these women can easily find someone in person, so why are they on online dating? I guess you make a good point in that it's because they can maybe find someone with both looks & money, but who wants to be with a woman like that if a big part of the reason they're with you is just because you make good money? This whole dating thing just makes no sense to me.
Women can have their cake and eat it to. It's the advantage of being pretty.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
But these women can easily find someone in person, so why are they on online dating? I guess you make a good point in that it's because they can maybe find someone with both looks & money, but who wants to be with a woman like that if a big part of the reason they're with you is just because you make good money? This whole dating thing just makes no sense to me.
And what woman wants to be with a guy if a big part of the reason he's with her is because she's physically attractive? Or...the only part, basically?

Answer: the same woman who doesn't care about being shallow, doesn't care that you're shallow about her either.

How is you wanting a hottie just because she's a hottie justifiable, but her wanting a man with money just because she wants a man with money is a deal-breaker? IMO, two such people fully deserve one another and neither is superior or inferior to the other in motives or actions. Go for it. And she'll always know you only want her for her looks and if God forbid she loses those, you'll dump her, and you'll always know she only wants you for your money and if God forbid the cash cow runs dry or merely slows down a bit (or if she finds a richer guy), she'll dump you (and take half of whatever you have left).

Now OTOH, if you DON'T want somebody shallow, well...yeah. You can guess the rest.

It's all up to you.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM

405 posts, read 326,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And what woman wants to be with a guy if a big part of the reason he's with her is because she's physically attractive? Or...the only part, basically?

Answer: the same woman who doesn't care about being shallow, doesn't care that you're shallow about her either.

How is you wanting a hottie just because she's a hottie justifiable, but her wanting a man with money just because she wants a man with money is a deal-breaker? IMO, two such people fully deserve one another and neither is superior or inferior to the other in motives or actions. Go for it. And she'll always know you only want her for her looks and if God forbid she loses those, you'll dump her, and you'll always know she only wants you for your money and if God forbid the cash cow runs dry or merely slows down a bit (or if she finds a richer guy), she'll dump you (and take half of whatever you have left).

Now OTOH, if you DON'T want somebody shallow, well...yeah. You can guess the rest.

It's all up to you.
I never said I'd only want someone for their looks. If their personality is bad but they looked like a supermodel I still wouldn't want to be with them. I'd want to be with someone I'm attracted to as well as having a good personality. And I'd be fine with a woman that's a 7 in looks, they don't have to look like a supermodel.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:23 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
I never said I'd only want someone for their looks. If their personality is bad but they looked like a supermodel I still wouldn't want to be with them. I'd want to be with someone I'm attracted to as well as having a good personality. And I'd be fine with a woman that's a 7 in looks, they don't have to look like a supermodel.
LOL!!

Well, good. Now we're getting somewhere.

You're at least a 7 in looks too then, I'm assuming? (Remember, this puts you comfortably above average in looks.) PLUS a great personality. Because, I mean, the woman doesn't just want a good-looking man, she's not that shallow! She also wants him to have a good personality.

You meet these criteria?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 PM

405 posts, read 326,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Women can have their cake and eat it to. It's the advantage of being pretty.
True, I don't know why I even bothered trying online dating. It does more harm than good for me. I guess I'll just have to accept being single for life at this point since a woman I'd like to be with isn't just going to fall into my lap due to all the options these women have.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
Quote:
True, I don't know why I even bothered trying online dating. It does more harm than good for me. I guess I'll just have to accept being single for life at this point since a woman I'd like to be with isn't just going to fall into my lap due to all the options these women have.
I'd suggest putting down the plate of 'woe is me' and getting a grip. But whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships