Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Get back with us in 20 years when you're a senior citizen and she is 45. Been there done that - wouldn't do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:45 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
My husband was 20 years older. He died in 2010 leaving me a widow at 55. The last 8 years of his life were pretty bad as he was sick much of that time. Instead of being a wife I became a caregiver. Thank goodness for Hospice. Funny thing is when we first fell in love I remember us discussing the age difference and I said "Even if we only have 20 years together, it will be worth it". Let me tell you it wasn't.

Unless the older partner is in excellent health and takes care of him/herself you might also find you are widowed much younger than you wanted. You will never grow old together, you may become a caretaker at a young age for an aging or sick spouse. You might be an active person who has to curtail a lot of what you want to do because of a much older spouse.

If I had it to do over again I would not have married a man 20 years older. Take it from someone who has lived it.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

If I had it to do over again I would not have married a man 20 years older. Take it from someone who has lived it.
I've lived it as well, and have the opposite feeling about it.

I would not have traded the 8 years that I had with him for the world. Though I lost him quite suddenly, I don't regret the choice I made to get involved with him.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:53 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Ultimately these are his insecurities to work through. He doesn't feel like he's making the right choice, for whatever reasons, so he needs to get to the root of that. No relationship, regardless of age, can be successful when one person is insecure and needs external validation for their personal choices.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
IMO, people in general place far too much emphasis on age. If you just click with someone, go for it.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Educated guess........ Sex.
That's the one. This is what gets people involved and keeps it going for a time...before the reality of who each other really is, sets in.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:35 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I'd say a good rule of thumb is that if you need to register a username on an internet forum to ask strangers if you should be in a relationship because you are afraid of what strangers might think of it, you should probably not be in that relationship.
YEP

Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That's the one. This is what gets people involved and keeps it going for a time...before the reality of who each other really is, sets in.
Sometimes, you get lucky. Patience and being watchful, before committing, helps even more than luck.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:23 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Hmm- I'm 43 and he's 62- haven't seen any issues with it.
You're dating a 62 year old?!?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 AM

971 posts, read 689,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMen1 View Post
Hi everyone. Here is my situation. I am a 40 year old man who has never been married and has no children (at least I hope I don't) and have been in many relationships over the years and I have never really wanted to settle down until now. I met this beautiful 24 year old woman at the gym 5 months ago and we hit it off really well and recently moved in together so it is getting serious. The problem in my mind is that I sometimes feel like I should not be with her due to the age difference. She has told me she does not care about that and stated that the fact I have no children makes it easier for her since I do not have that baggage. I have yet to meet her parents but I am really afraid how they will interact with me considering I am only 6 years younger (they are both 46). She tells me not to worry but it really messes with my mind. Do you guys think I should continue this relationship despite the age difference?
Been in this situation with a little more age difference than you. So, i think that makes me qualified to give you advice. I didn't let my girl move in with me because i did not think it would be fair to her, and would not be worth the risk of something more permanent. I figured eventually she would get tired of me and leave, and there i would be, a broken hearted old man.

Broke her heart and she hasn't spoken to me since and it's been four years. WORST decision i ever made. After the fact i decided i should have said yes and let her move in and enjoy it as long as it lasted. Who knows what would have come of things and now i will never know.

So i say GO FOR IT dude and enjoy as long as it lasts. In my case the parents were ok with it. They thought i brought stability to her life and they hated the young punk boyfriend she was involved with before me. It was wierd at first but became comfortable. We were together a year.

Be prepared for snide comments and "the look" when in public. Mine always had a quick comeback to them. You will be all your male buddies hero for dating a hot young woman, and ALL the women you encounter will be disgusted and will let you know about it. Just be prepared for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships